Interchangability

-

MBigDaddyM

Reaction score
Didn't know where to post this, so if it needs to be moved, my apologies. My 75 Dart Sport may have a cracked block, There is a 77 Aspen being sold for 250, this includes 318/727 and the seller claims and 8.75 rear axle. (My Dart has an 8.25 6 leaf already.) The Aspen also has a nice 2.5 inch exhaust system, plus the large brakes.

I know 250 is a good deal, but will the 8.75 axle and the exhaust interchange and are there any body/interior pieces that interchange. -BD

The 8-3/4 is a close fit, almost exact. Worst case, weld spring perchs is it I think. The width difference is small.
The exhaust system should not be a big problem. At best a minor tweaking.

If the engine runs well and the tranny is fine, yes, it's a good deal, but your asking blind people to make a call for you.

If you purchased the car solely for resale, then the answer is HELL YA!

I was mainly curious at to what interchanged, I'm hoping the 318 in the Dart isn't cracked as it ran like a top. I need the 727 for my 65 pickup, the 8.75 is a money piece or I could save it for the day the car has a 440. 8) Overall the Aspen is in good shape body wise it is spitfire orange, but it has some serious rust and cracking issues in the front suspension. -BD

Body parts? No.
Interior? Front bucket seats could be used. Bench? Not directly.
The rearend will be slightly wider, not a problem unless your tire /rim combination is close to hitting the wheel well lips already.
Drive train parts will bolt in, but the engine mounts and transmission mounts will have to be changed.
You could probably harvest stuff like the wiper motor, master cylinder, maybe the combination valve for the brakes.
This is for F M J body only. (Below)
On an interesting note, if somebody was modifying an F body, a B body 8.75 rearend will almost fall into one of these cars. Put one perch on the locating bolt, kick the other spring a little til the rearend falls onto the other pin, bolt it down and go. Or, spend money to move the perches over about 3/16ths of an inch...I've done this twice to the Apen and Volare I had. Used the b body shock plates and got rid of those bayonet end shocks too.
I might be wrong, but I think you could use a set of B body front super stock hangers to use a standard a body leaf spring in a Volare or Aspen too. I just never got far enough along to need to find out.If so, that would allow someone to get rid of those stock springs with the oval shaped, sloppy rubber isolated front eyes.
This was my Aspen R?T when I sold it. The biggest problem with these cars is that they are heavy. About the same physical size as a Duster, but with a full tank of gas, driver and a smallblock/727/8.75, it weighed 3920 pounds. Just like a B body.
I hope this helps,
Alan627b

hynes950643_1_scan_010_1_4x6_matte (Small).jpg

hynes950643_1_scan_011_1_4x6_matte (Small).jpg

hynes950643_1_scan_012_1_4x6_matte (Small).jpg

It's an 8.25 rear axle cover is painted bright orange, here is the tag if anyone has the codes for 75 and later. -BD
R11 L1 17 067
M38 M43 N21 N37 N96
H51 J25 K5W L31 M21 M31
MV1 V3W U 2 B41 G11 G52
MV1 D2XW 000 923 T02506
E24 D31 NH29 C7B ******

-
Back