Interchange question

-

Wayne Thomas

Reaction score
My buddy has a 68 or 69 Dart. I built him a really nice and aggressive transmission and helped a little building his motor but the rear end is an issue. It's a Ford 8.8 we believe and he wants to get an 8 3/4 housing. I suspect the flange to flange distance is the same in both previous and later model years but I don't actually know the interchange range for that car.

Maybe you guys could help me out with what the correct one would be for that car and what other years will interchange.

Another Mopar buddy down in Knoxville knows a guy that's a lot of A body rear housings, pigs and complete rear axles but before I have him inquire about buying one I want to do my homework.

Thanks in advance,

Wayne

66 to 76 valiant, dart, and up to 69(IIRC) barracuda are all interchangeable.
If it was originally a slant 6, 273 2bbl ,318 2bbl it would be a 7 1/4, 340, 383 would be 8 3/4, 440 it would be dana 60. Later years some time in the early 70s had a 8 1/4,

The cars fender tag will have a code that will tell you what it originally came with

66 to 76 valiant, dart, and up to 69(IIRC) barracuda are all interchangeable.
If it was originally a slant 6, 273 2bbl ,318 2bbl it would be a 7 1/4, 340, 383 would be 8 3/4, 440 it would be dana 60. Later years some time in the early 70s had a 8 1/4,

The cars fender tag will have a code that will tell you what it originally came with

8-3/4's in A-Body's were used from 66-72, after that they went to the 8-1/4. No Dana's were ever used in an A-Body except the 68 Hemi Dart and Barracuda which would have a B-Body Dana on 4-speed cars only. There were axle codes on 66-68 A-body's but not from 69-72. The A-Body 8-3/4 are all small bolt, 5 on 4" bolt circle but aftermarket axles can be bought.

8 3/4 Looks like this:
0807171733.jpg

0806171639.jpg

'67 A body Dart

sweet. I assume there are numbers on the housings. Can anyone tell me where they would be and what the numbers would be for a body? I know an 8 3/4 when I see one but on the floor I wouldn't know one from an a body or a b body. Or do you go by a measurement?

sweet. I assume there are numbers on the housings. Can anyone tell me where they would be and what the numbers would be for a body? I know an 8 3/4 when I see one but on the floor I wouldn't know one from an a body or a b body. Or do you go by a measurement?

Mymopar.com
has width measurements for the 8 3/4 housings and their car applications so you can ID them. Spring Perch dimensions too.

Agree. No a body m-code with a stick or dana. 727/8 3/4 only.
A body spring perch 43", narrow b body 44". The later b body, c body etc., i would have to look up.
Ok, so the correct measurement for an a body, in this case a 69 Dart, is 43" center to center?

Thanks,
Wayne

-
Back