interchange

-

Ron Bowman

Reaction score
Working on a 61 lancer with a 225. motor is bad. When I try to find a motor for my car, it is not available. Sowhat years will interchange with mine?

If the motor is original to the car, you might want to have it rebuilt. If not, someone on this site will be able to tell you about interchangeability.

Working on a 61 lancer with a 225. motor is bad. When I try to find a motor for my car, it is not available. Sowhat years will interchange with mine?
All slants will physically bolt in and mount to a slant six auto transmission or slant six manual bell housing.
A couple of things to watch for:
If your 61 is an automatic transmission the torque converter will have the small snout or centering nub on it. In ‘68 Mopar went to a larger diameter torque converter centering nub and receiving register on the crankshaft. Mounting a 68 and newer engine to an early small nub torque converter is not an issue as an adapter ring that fits into the crankshaft register is available.
If you have a manual transmission, Chrysler made crankshafts with the crank drilled to depth to receive the transmission pilot shaft but not honed to size for the bushing. The work around for that with the large crank register is a late model pilot bushing that mounts into the crank register itself.
Not a fitment issue but there was also a change to hydraulic lifters in the mid 70’s.
Or have you considered having the existing engine rebuilt? There are slant motors available, mainly from folks swapping in a v8, but even the very best of those motors are 40+ years old and really are nothing more than running core engines.

Last edited:
All slants will physically bolt in and mount to a slant six auto transmission or slant six manual bell housing.
A couple of things to watch for:
If your 61 is an automatic transmission the torque converter will have the small snout or centering nub on it. In ‘68 Mopar went to a larger diameter torque converter centering nub and receiving register on the crankshaft. Mounting a 68 and newer engine to an early small nub torque converter is not an issue as an adapter ring that fits into the crankshaft register is available.
If you have a manual transmission, Chrysler made crankshafts with the crank drilled to depth to receive the transmission pilot shaft but not honed to size for the bushing. The work around for that with the large crank register is a late model pilot bushing that mounts into the crank register itself.
Not a fitment issue but there was also a change to hydraulic lifters in the mid 70’s.
Or have you considered having the existing engine rebuilt? There are slant motors available, mainly from folks swapping in a v8, but even the very best of those motors are 40+ years old and really are nothing more than running core engines.
Kool, Thanks for the reply. So where might I find this adapter? part #

I'm not a slant expert, but a couple of possibilities come to mind if using a later model replacement motor (if I'm mistaken, I'm sure someone will correct me)-
The oil pan/pickup from your original motor will need to be re-used on the new motor.
As stated, a '68 and newer engine needs to have the convertor hub register issue addressed.
Carburetor and throttle linkage from original engine need to be used.
Use all mounting brackets/hardware from the early motor; as a matter of fact, don't get rid of/turn in for core charge the original motor until the new one is in and running. There are all kinds of miscellaneous odds and ends you will need to make the swap go smoothly.
You may need to use the old valve cover; newer models used a PCV valve which may not be compatible with the old carb, older ones used a draft tube.
The man with all the answers is @slantsixdan , but he doesn't shine around as much as he used to... :)

Last edited:
As far as the adapter ring for the convertor hub, you can try Pat Blaise Transmissions (206/365-1966) or tflitepatty@comcast.net , although I have heard he may be closing up shop... maybe A&A transmissions? There is also a member on here who makes/supplies them, but I can't find his name in any of my saved references... There are undoubtedly more sources that people will chime in with. Or start a "Wanted" ad if needed.

As far as the adapter ring for the convertor hub, you can try Pat Blaise Transmissions (206/365-1966) or tflitepatty@comcast.net , although I have heard he may be closing up shop... maybe A&A transmissions? There is also a member on here who makes/supplies them, but I can't find his name in any of my saved references... There are undoubtedly more sources that people will chime in with. Or start a "Wanted" ad if needed.
Charlie S who posts here has the adapters as well as Greg O who posts over at .org

There is no PCV valve compatibility issue; feel free to use whatever valve cover you want ('66-up covers are easier to find valves to fit).

Unless you happen into a pre-'67 motor, the oil pan and pickup and carburetor would want to be swapped from the '61 engine onto whatever engine you wind up using. The '61 engine mounts would need to be used. Manifolds can be early or late, doesn't matter. I'm pretty sure Charrlie_S (user name over on slantsix.org) has the adapter ring needed to use a '68-up Slant-6 engine in front of a '67-down automatic transmission. If your original engine is a 170 and you install a 225 or a 198, you'll need to space down the exhaust headpipe (flange-and-gasket sandwich) otherwise the headpipe will hit the floor.

Check if the Lancer you're working on has an aluminum block 225. If so, you'll want to hang onto it.

Thanks for the info. Got lucky and found a motor with only 11k miles on it. It is in a 74 dart. What is the possibility of using the converter from the donor motor rather than the spacer? Not trying to cut corners, Just trying to get it driveable sooner than later.

Must use the converter for the transmission used, The input shaft changed diameter and splines the same time the crank pocket changed.

t
Must use the converter for the transmission used, The input shaft changed diameter and splines the same time the crank pocket changed.

would the 904 from the 74 Dart fit into the '61? If the OE engine is shot, the OE tranny may not be far from it.
I am thinking there could be issues as the '61 is a push button shift, but IDKFS???

t

would the 904 from the 74 Dart fit into the '61? If the OE engine is shot, the OE tranny may not be far from it.
I am thinking there could be issues as the '61 is a push button shift, but IDKFS???
Would need a shifter, and a driveshaft. Also a speedo cable (not sure if still available)

I have a 62 lancer I am thinking about dropping 408 into the car will sell engine and trans complete

If you have the adapter ring to put a 904 converter on a 73 318 crank I need one. Send me the particulars please sir....
The adapter I sell is to put a 1967 or earlier 904 converter up to a 68 or newer slant six or small block engine. What year is your transmission? If 68 or newer you don't need an adapter.
PS: you must use the flex plate that fits the year of the engine.
If you need one, send me a private message.

My 904 is out of my 67 Dart GT 273 and I'm hooking it to a 73 318. I found a adapter yesterday, but what flex plate do I need?

You need the flex plate that fits the 73 318 engine, if using a stock type converter. If a "custom" converter check with the converter builder, to verify the Converter bolt circle dia. Most will be stock, but be sure.

-
Back