Interest in Performance Parts for slants?

Slant 6 Engines

1. cudaspaz

cudaspaz Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    8:40 AM
    Whoa what is that?
    Cool.

2. Abodybomber

Abodybomber Breaking street machines , since 1983.....:) Legendary Member

Local Time:
    5:40 AM
    That crossflow head ,with Mpi and a turbo,would be friggin sweet.

3. sobiecam

sobiecam College Student

Local Time:
    7:40 AM
    I'm thinking a four valve head that uses LA style (TALL) ports with all of the ports (intake and exhaust) on the same side. You would have to use my manifold and header but it'd work! might make it accept bosses for FI like indy does with most of their intakes too

4. sobiecam

sobiecam College Student

Local Time:
    7:40 AM
    possibly I could do one head with the tall ports and a two/large valve aluminum head that accepts clifford/aussie/factory/hooker parts

5. pishta

pishta I know I'm right....

Local Time:
    A cross flow head intake on the short side with TPI runners curling over the the top of the valve cover to a plenum, they are dry so no fuel puddling (like a neon's upside down) 245 Hemi head is not even close to a slant. Perhaps a Supra head (would need 2 as the bores are siamesed, right on top of each other) cut in half and trimmed to fit the 3+3 slant six bore spacing. [​IMG] or maybe just an affordable 2X1 or 3X1 bbl intake. Bolt on EFI intake with bosses.

6. nqkjw

nqkjw Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    10:40 PM
    Mate,if you mean the Aussie hemi six I can assure you...not a hope in hell.
    The hemi six is physically a much longer engine.
    Our 68 A bodies are the same as yours and all had slants.
    The hemi 6 didn't appear till 1970 but the 69 model had the engine bay lengthened by 2" to accommate the coming hemi.

It's a pity since the biggest hemi 265 cubes had 1.96 and 1.6 valves and the ports to go with them.
    I've built 400hp normally aspirated hemis in the past with no head work except for shaving.

Here's one of ours from 20yrs ago.

[​IMG]

As for intakes for slant sixes,triple 45DCOE sidedraught webers reign supreme over this side of the pond.

One of mine from nearly 30yrs ago.This body originally had a hemi 6 and so is the longer engine bay.

[​IMG]

7. RustyRatRod

RustyRatRod Bla de blizhibliz de blatde blizi bla bla FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    8:40 AM
    In all seriousness, Some GOOD off the shelf cam grinds. A good AFFORDABLE roller cam. Some good AFFORDABLE SHO NUFF 1.6 rockers. Ain't gotta be rollers. Some good fitting headers. In short somewhere OTHER than Clifford to buy parts from.

8. nqkjw

nqkjw Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    10:40 PM
    There'd be around half a dozen different sources for slant 6 cams in Australia.
    Freight from Oz to the US probably wouldn't make it viable though.

9. Bill Dedman

Bill Dedman bill dedman Legendary Member

Local Time:
    6:40 AM

Here's mine: I think there's a viable market for an affordable, compact, slant six turbo header.

Because of the slant six's inherent design parameters (narrow bore-spacing; small bores) getting big valves into the limited room (unless it's a 4-valve head... $$$$) makes a good breathing head an expensive proposition.

That fact makes turbocharging a potentially attractive idea to some, but the difficulty in coming up with an effficient turbo header makes actually going this route a hard thing to deal with. I am sure that there are a lot of slant six owners who would like to try a turbo on their engine who shy away from the prospect because of this issue.

My partner and I spent about $1,000.00 on our one-off turbo header and it is far from ideal. It's too big and has far too much surface area (to radiate heat) and could easily be improved on, with a smaller, more compact design.

Here's a picture of the one we have, but as I said, it is not very representative of the optimum design. A shorter, more direct configuration would be cheaper and probably work better. Aaron (srixon4406) is building such a header.

Think about it...

Attached Files:

10. Bill Dedman

Local Time:
    Messsage moved to Slant six turbo thread.

11. RabidScott

RabidScott Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    1:40 PM
    [​IMG]

This is totally awesome!

Clearance issue or not, a crossflow or simply a better cylinder head would sell.

Edelbrock is making heads for the 348/409 Chevy and that's a pretty small market, think of the market for a good slant six head!!

Downside is most slant sixers are cheap bastards. Rocket scientist smart, but cheap. ;)

12. 805moparkid

805moparkid Slant and AFX Guy

Local Time:

even if they just cast a stock port head with more meat in the right area alot would buy it... then have a CNC port work and it would be sweet...

just need a bracket for the intake and maybe headers so they dont pull the studs out...

13. Bill Dedman

Local Time:
    Can somebody (anybody) explain to me, just what, specifically, the flow advantages of a crossflow head are?

Unless there are issues with one set of ports (intake, for example) infringing on the space that might be used by the exhaust ports (in this case,) I fail to see what kind of advantage a crossflow head would have over a same-side setup. The mixture coming out of the combustion chamber doesn't CARE which way it goes, does it?

I have thought about it a lot, trying to justify the added complication of moving the exhaust port to the opposite side of the head, and except for some minimal advantages in packaging (room for components,) I can't see a single thing to recommend it (a crossflow configuration,) over the OEM setup on a slant six.

It would complicate turbo plumbing, for sure...

Somebody help me out here... please.:glasses7:

14. 805moparkid

Local Time:
    heat mostly... you dont have 900* header tubes or manifold right next to your intake... but as you said for these it really wouldn't make sense due to the lean... just no need

15. Bill Dedman

Local Time:
    That (heat) is something I hadn't thought about, and is definitely worthy of consideration. Thanks for the tip!:bounce:

16. 805moparkid

Local Time:
    ive seen i think two slant guys that took the time to make a sheild between the int and exh... you can imagine what that looked like... i was thinking of making a plate much like the old nascar set ups that drops over the hole top of the engine compartment and seals the intake in its own cold area...

17. twofosho

twofosho Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    You might try emulating the Ford Mod motor three valve head. The bore is only slightly greater than the small bore of a slant six (3.552 for the Ford, 3.4 for the slant) and guys are commonly pushing the bore of the slant six out to 3.5. Running the exhaust on the right side of the engine frees up the left side for a barrel style F.I. intake and a non overheated starter. Not cooking the master cylinder with exhaust heat is a good idea too.

18. 805moparkid

Local Time:
    very true but with the exh on the passenger side there is a dizzy, wires and oil filter dead smack where tubes would normally go... now you could run them fender exit style

19. Bill Dedman

Local Time:
    That N.A.S.C.A.R. cold air intake idea is a good one! Shouldn't be too hard to do, either. Go for it!!!

20. 805moparkid

Local Time:
    tell you the truth i was gonna make a whole new "lightweight" engine comparment for increased areo... also gonna set the motor back about an inch...

21. Bill Dedman

Local Time:
    That would be a great-breathing head for sure, but I wonder about the bore center spacing. That might be identical, or nearly identical with the /6, OR it might be way off... that would need to be addressed.

Sure would be nice if it worked... :blob:

22. Bill Dedman

Local Time:
    Or you could just set your whole drivetrain into a '62 Valiant 2-door sedan and pick up about a half a second... LOL!

23. 805moparkid

Local Time:

Attached Files:

24. Bill Dedman

Local Time:

Well, it says here that there's only 245 pounds separating the '62 Valiant 2-door sedan and th '68 Dart 2-dr. hardtop, so the difference would be more like two-and-a-half tenths, not half a second.

My bad.... sorry.

25. Bill Dedman

Local Time:
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.