Interesting. What are the odds of this?

-

ragtopfury

Reaction score
So I realize there are only so many tumbler combinations for a given key type. However, who'd a thought my Shelby Dakota key and the key to my son's Dart Sport are the same.

Had ignition keys made for the Sport at Carlisle and realized it is the same. Imagine that.

the key to my brother 71 Cougar XR7 (351 cleveland ) fit my friends mothers 77 T-Bird . And the key to my grammas house unlocked my buddy front door .
When I worked for an Acura dealer in 2003 I went to drive a new White TL-S and it wouldn’t start … it work crank but not fire . I thought thats weird… these cars never fail to start . I checked the key tag and it said ( White 3.2 TL-S ) but then I checked the stock number…. It was the key for another white TL-S ! Got the correct key and she fired right up .

Now that you mention it, the training center I taught at for work ... the key to the training lab was the same as my house key.

Back when I was busting tires and changing oil at Target (early 80's), we had a guy come in for new shocks for his blue Chevy (something). About the exact same time we had another customer ask for an oil change, for another blue Chevy.

Same keys, both blue Chevy's...

Long story short: The customer who wanted just the shocks got a free oil change, and we only noticed it because we didn't have the shocks for other Chevy.

Last edited:
Vintage Mopar has the best odds of any of the big 3/4.

I used to know what it was but I want to say something like 1 in 384.

It's really how many pin heights times how many pin positions squared (or whatever the math term is for the operation below).
IE- 4x4x4x4x4 if there are 4 heights and 5 positions.

My 1986 turbo Daytona was the same cut as my friends 1973 340 Challenger.

My wife locked herself of the 2007 Mazda CX-7 we made the mistake of buying. She left for town n a VERY agitated state. Just for kicks, I went in the house and grabbed a key for the old brown truck (1972 f-100) . The truck key opened the door -no problem! Btw, don't EVER buy a Mazda CX-7!!!

-
Back