Interior Access Panel to Sending Unit in 70 Duster?

-

70DusterBob

Reaction score
My friend said that there might be an access panel to the sending unit behind the back seat. Is this available in my 70 Duster? If so is it behind the upright back support or the horizontal butt support, or do I need to remove them both to get to the sending unit?

If you read the post right you would see that he said there "might" be a panel back there, not that there definitely was.

Sending unit lock ring wrench is your friend.

So how can you access the sending unit to replace it w/o taking out the tank? Sorry if I didn't mention I was replacing the sending unit...

After I get the tank out, I'm thinking about cutting my own access panel. Then cover it with sheet metal and a rubber seal. This is the fourth time I have had to access it only a few years apart! Where can I get a lock ring wrench? Thanks

Don't cut an access, just, don't do that. Mega Parts, Vans, Year One, Classic, several places for a wrench, their about $15.
First off, you know that all of the new senders are junk and incompatible with your fuel gauge, right? Is the orginal sender still in there? Why do you want to pull the sender, is the gasket leaking?
I have always dropped my tank out, hell, it's out right now, but I think it's possible to pull the sender out without removing the tank.
Kim mentioned this already.

Don't cut an access, just, don't do that. Mega Parts, Vans, Year One, Classic, several places for a wrench, their about $15.
First off, you know that all of the new senders are junk and incompatible with your fuel gauge, right? Is the orginal sender still in there? Why do you want to pull the sender, is the gasket leaking?
I have always dropped my tank out, hell, it's out right now, but I think it's possible to pull the sender out without removing the tank.
Kim mentioned this already.

I'll check around for a wrench, it leaks like Niagra Falls when I fill it all the way up. I could not get the new unit to mate surfaces with the tank. I mean like the ring was too small. I have another new unit with a brass float and ss line that I'm hoping will work. I have the original ring that I believe should do the trick. I found it accidentally when rummaging around through the trunk in a small tool box. Smart thing to save that old ring. The new one was not lining up. I got a new unit from Gastanks.com or something. Had one of theirs before that worked pretty well. Yes I know about the rheostat being crap on the new units. Damn China. All the work is in draining the tank and pulling the tube, disconnecting the line, why not go ahead and pull it when it would make swapping the unit so much easier? The tank is light then, the bolts are already loose, I mean I don't think it would save work to change the unit while it's half way on the car? Anyway, it will last for years and years if I can get it on right, I don't have to cut an access panel if it would ruin the value of the car, just tired of pulling the tank to work on these faulty units. That's all.

They usually leak from the new sending unit lock rings, save and re use the OEM one!

I had a bunch of the nos ones a few years ago not one leak.

Good luck, my guy ran out might be abel to do a wanted ad. Plenty of cars being parted out.

Mega Parts has the wrench, it's under Air/ Fuel, then look for hardware and tools, towards bottom of page. $15. They are in Wisconsin.
Do you have a new tank or an original?
The lock ring area in my old tank (and it was pretty new when I bought the car) was all stretched out of shape. I got a stainless steel tank after that, it too started to leak, not sure why. I just Pro Sealed it together 2 days ago. ( Aircraft tank sealer) it wont leak again. Someone makes a 2 part sealer for fuel like that, maybe google it.

Mega Parts has the wrench, it's under Air/ Fuel, then look for hardware and tools, towards bottom of page. $15. They are in Wisconsin.
Do you have a new tank or an original?
The lock ring area in my old tank (and it was pretty new when I bought the car) was all stretched out of shape. I got a stainless steel tank after that, it too started to leak, not sure why. I just Pro Sealed it together 2 days ago. ( Aircraft tank sealer) it wont leak again. Someone makes a 2 part sealer for fuel like that, maybe google it.

New tank too, new fuel line etc. The filler neck is original. I think the original lock ring will fix it. I am concerned about using the aircraft glue, I don't think you can get it off once that is on, right? I suppose that if the original ring won't work I will have to glue it. But I will use the crappy ring on it if I have to glue it. I sent gastanks.com a polite email letting them know their tanks don't seal and the sending unit doesn't work either. Don't know if it will help, but I thought they should know. Thanks!

The sealer is like silicone when cured. It can be opened up with a hair dryer or heat gun. It was a last resort for me. I too was tired of the tank leaking fuel, it won't leak again. I shouldn't ever have to deal with it again. Had the other tank out several times trying to stop the leak, before I realized what was wrong. This was the first time that the SS tank leaked in a year, like I said, last resort. The tricky part with the sealer was being tidy with it on the install. Nailed that part.
Good luck sir!

-
Back