Interior panel fitment issue

-

Reaction score
I have a 74 barracuda, my last set of panels rubbed each other and they also rubbed the strike plate. I bought a new set and they are rubbing in the exact same areas so it's my car not the panels. It looks like I may have to grind 1/4" off the pinch weld unless someone has a better idea ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 173
Another shot

Attachments

• image.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 149
that is what makes putting these cars back together and replacing weld in parts so hard. you can get your work perfect BUT it wont matter because where you are welding them into is bad fitting. It is a lesson in compromise. do what you have to to get the parts to fit properly, including if you have to grind the pinch weld.

You're probably going to have to learn to live with it. ....
Smile, you have a '74 Barracuda!

Let's see this beast? !!!

:burnout:

Here ya go

Attachments

• image.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 148
1 at a time I guess

Attachments

• image.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 157
Not sure why I can't post more than one

Attachments

• image.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 129
I'll guess those are the vacuum formed Palco panels. I know someone that is very talented and experienced and it took him about 4 hours per panel to get them to fit to his expectations (it's a best of show concourse car).

The injected molded ones from the old metro parts fit 1000 times better.

These are the metros. It's not the panels, it's my car. I've just never heard of anyone actually having to trim the pinch weld

So now talking about trimming the pinch weld, I'm thinking that a zipdisc is probably the easiest. I'll do some good masking and go to town. Is there an easier/ cleaner solution ?

So now talking about trimming the pinch weld, I'm thinking that a zipdisc is probably the easiest. I'll do some good masking and go to town. Is there an easier/ cleaner solution ?
I use a Nibler. Nice and clean

Oh I like that, looks slick, no sparks. Thanks

These are the metros. It's not the panels, it's my car. I've just never heard of anyone actually having to trim the pinch weld

My friend had to trim his pinch weld on his challenger. But those were the Palco ones.

I'm surprised the injected molded Metro's front and Metro's back fit like that. How are they different on the backside from your originals. I thought people had an easy/easier time installing those.

You need to ask on a E body forum or Moparts to find some with experience installing metro panels.

My friend had to trim his pinch weld on his challenger. But those were the Palco ones.

I'm surprised the injected molded Metro's front and Metro's back fit like that. How are they different on the backside from your originals. I thought people had an easy/easier time installing those.

You need to ask on a E body forum or Moparts to find some with experience installing metro panels.

Yeah, I'm a member on an e body forum but can't post pics due to file being to large, went through a pic downsizing program and got fed up. Most of the guys on that forum are on here to, seems like this forum is very common and user friendly.

To answer your question about the metro panels, I don't have my originals but the set that came with the car ( repos ) rubbed even worse. This is all after the body work so it's something that changed with the car/ body work.

Hows the door gap? May be able to be tweaked a bit, hows the panel fasten? With those little spring clips?

i thought the same thing about the door gaps but their perfect. yes you are correct, the door panel uses the clips as well as screws, their really is no room for adjustment. I'm going to pick up a nibbler today, I think with one of those it's gonna be a fairly simple fix.

-
Back