Interior Panels - Loose Covers

-

JAndrea

Reaction score
I'm restoring my interior panels on the cheap. They are in great shape, so don't really need very much attention. I don't have staples that are small enough or a tool to simulate the factory wrap-around edges (without the staples coming all the way through the front), so I just used some E6000 adhesive and clamps to stretch the cover and rebond the edges. It turned out pretty good... My question: can I wet the cover, which I assume is vinyl, and then gently blow-dry to try and lightly shrink/stretch the rest of the way? These are original covers so my worry is putting too much stress to them that will lead to cracking.

image.jpeg

Vinyl will not shrink with water, so you might just have to try and get it better by hand or you may be better off trying heat.

Vinyl will not shrink with water, so you might just have to try and get it better by hand or you may be better off trying heat.
Yeah.. I was wondering if that would even work for vinyl.. Like it does on lots of other materials. Thanks.

Looks like it needs pulled more towards the lower rear corner. Once you have it pulled tight enough
for the wrinkles to level out staple it right thru the panel at the rear edge to hold it in place. Flip it over and bend the staples over flat. They won't be seen behind the seat.
Heat will help if you get it a little closer first.

I've used a hair dryer and heat it up gen5ly while stretching it and have a helper to spray a good adhesive under and just run it towards the edges while heating ,turned out great

-
Back