Internal/External balanced motor

-

69signetv8

Reaction score
A few year back I had a my 318 rebuild and did not know much about rebuilds...The only thing updated in the complete rebuild was the 360 heads milled and a 340 cam installed. (never asked for balance/blueprint etc.)

Is there a way just by looking at the vibration damper to know if the engine is balance internal or external? How about stock balanceing. As stated yesterday, my damper looks a little worn...the thin rubber seal has become very brittle and drops off when rubbed, however I don't think the damper has shifted out of phase.

Thanks

An External Balanced Damner Has An Oblonged Weight On The Front
IF YOU PRVIDE ME N E-MAIL I CAN GIVE YOU A PDF DIAGRAM

dazedduster said:
An External Balanced Damner Has An Oblonged Weight On The Front
IF YOU PRVIDE ME N E-MAIL I CAN GIVE YOU A PDF DIAGRAM

And some instead of the weight have a wide groove in the face of the inertia ring about half way around.
Of the two types I would use the weighted kind. The weight is directly attached to the crank while the other one has the weight isolated by the rubber. If the inertia ring moves it will throw off the balance of your motor. Not much chance this will happen but it could.

http://www.moparts.com/Tech/Archive/smallblock/5.html

Chuck

Well this is mine guys..it does have (1) dimple....internal?

DSCF0007.JPG

That's a neutral balance and your right I would change it out also, that rubber is looking pretty bad.

Chuck

340mopar said:
That's a neutral balance and your right I would change it out also, that rubber is looking pretty bad.

Chuck

Thanks again Chuck...Did ya note my 360 question?

340mopar said:
And some instead of the weight have a wide groove in the face of the inertia ring about half way around.
Of the two types I would use the weighted kind. The weight is directly attached to the crank while the other one has the weight isolated by the rubber. If the inertia ring moves it will throw off the balance of your motor. Not much chance this will happen but it could.

http://www.moparts.com/Tech/Archive/smallblock/5.html

Chuck

Like the one in this picture

360 balancer.jpg

-
Back