Into the muzzleloading game!

-

Drache

1971 Dodge Dart Swinger
Reaction score
So I traded some "services rendered" for this, it's a CVA Hawken Percussion Muzzleloader in .50 caliber. I've always wanted to get into the black powder game and now I am. Came with a bunch of stuff and all I needed was powder.

*not actual rifle, looks the same though*

Picture082.jpg

Went looking for a powder horn. Local stores wanted $100 each so I went on ebay and picked this up for $26.

lftNKr2.jpg

There are a couple black powder groups that get together all dressed up like mountain men and such. This is the one of the looks I'm going for:

VBZG7LZ.jpg

Or this look:

mntn-man-red-coat-tree.jpg

I like the bottom pic the best. I've always wanted to try a muzzle loading firearm, pistol or rifle.

nice man ive got a few revolvers to and of course the blunderbuss. the one in
my profie pic is a repro 1851 colt and heres the blunderbuss.
902916_584366464915675_1039279365_o.jpg

Yea, the top one looks a little ,,,,prop 8. :)

Just kidding.
I used to have a 50cal pistol, and that thing was a blast to shoot.

my profie pic is a repro 1851 colt and heres the blunderbuss.

I am the current protector of a family heirloom civil war era 1851 Colt Navy. Purchased new by a family and passed down until it finally reached me.

pk7K80S.jpg

Yea, the top one looks a little ,,,,prop 8.

Just kidding.
I used to have a 50cal pistol, and that thing was a blast to shoot.

:D

Both are historical accurate. The top one is made out of a Hudson's Bay Blanket that trappers used to get from the Hudson's Bay Company who had Forts all over Canada back before we were Canada.

The second is also made out of a blanket as well. Trappers used what they had.

The red one is more the U.S. style of Indian blanket, the ones trappers traded to the Natives all the time.

I am the current protector of a family heirloom civil war era 1851 Colt Navy. Purchased new by a family and passed down until it finally reached me.

pk7K80S.jpg

:D

Both are historical accurate. The top one is made out of a Hudson's Bay Blanket that trappers used to get from the Hudson's Bay Company who had Forts all over Canada back before we were Canada.

The second is also made out of a blanket as well. Trappers used what they had.

The red one is more the U.S. style of Indian blanket, the ones trappers traded to the Natives all the time.

dude now im drooling. is it matching numbers? the finish looks great for being 162.

Muzzle loading is a blast (pun intended) crazy thing is I own that very rifle and pistol, ironic eh? Of course the pistol is a reproduction but it is fun to shoot.

I have taken several deer with my Hawken, and sometimes I carry the pistol in case one gets close enough to try and harvest one with it.

I own several black powder rifles and pistols, they are just fun to shoot. I also picked up a new inline muzzleloader that I have yet to get dirty. We aren't allowed to hunt with rifle in my part of the state but can use an inline that will reach out to 250 yards accurately, go figure. :D

Do you have Trapping license Beaver pickles up nicely,they make great boot tops and make for the beast blood attractant for big cats, I miss trapping with my uncle.
I remember seeing the biggest beaver in my life in Michigan ( 30 miles out of Grand Rapids ) and it was all I could do could to drag it a few feet..I was about 12 years old
By looking at the mountain men we can say for sure most all animals are color blind
Enjoy and I bet it will be a great learning adventure

I remember seeing the biggest beaver in my life in Michigan ( 30 miles out of Grand Rapids ) and it was all I could do could to drag it a few feet..I was about 12 years old
I wouldn't never get close to a beaver that size:glasses3:

I wouldn't never get close to a beaver that size:glasses3:

The farmer paid my uncle to trap them and we kept the meat, they build dams fast!! My grandmother jarred the meat and would add it to gravy :thumleft:
yummy for sure

Now a really hard part is... I'm looking for a knife for my mountain man setup. I want something that looks period, not at all fancy, and I don't want to spend a crap ton of money for it either. (Found a pre-civil war bowie that I wanted really badly :p) Roughly I'm looking for something like these:

0027.jpg

8170770269_f5f3f5c4d7_z.jpg

DSC_0455.jpg

I like that hand forged blade look. Not shiny at all.

I've got a hand made skinning knife I bought out here in Colorado with a bone handle, I'll have post a pic later on today.

I typed reenactor into google and this came up. It's a "Rio Grande Camp Knife". It's a cheap knife at $50 plus another $30 shipping. But looks period:

knife-riogrande-lrg.jpg

A similar knife was used in 1860 during an assassination attempted on the US Secretary of State William Seward. Although that one was stag horn I believe.

Just picked this guy up as well so I have a backup/loaner

It's a Muzzleloading Armory Plainsman rifle in .50 Caliber as well.

*once again not picture of actual rifle as I don't have it yet*

14812650.jpg

-
Back