"Invisible" cars

-

dibbons

Reaction score
This morning I did not see a blue car coming from my right until after I had already begun to cross the street. It was almost as if the car had not even been there the first time I looked in that direction. Of course, the other driver honked at me, but I got across the street in more than enough time to avoid a collision. This made me remember many years ago when a relative had there car "totaled" (it was blue). They told me blue cars for some reason were the most difficult to pick out on the street.

The sky is blue. The roads reflect blue.....if they are asphalt. Want to get a really good perspective? Talk to a good art teacher. They can tell you all about how colors interact with each other. Remember too, the two worst times of day for driving. Daybreak and dusk, because all the colors run together.

There is only one possible explanation.

[ame]https://youtu.be/YuP6H8cz72I[/ame]

gun metal gray is the worst color...very hard to see at any time of day and any color is hard to see at dusk and dawn.maybe time travel is possible?

I think the best explanation would have something to do with the fact that our brains have evolved to favor speed over accuracy in processing and the blue end of the spectrum requires more effort especially in low light.

Orange is statistically the safest color on the road. Thus DOTs orange cones and such.
A gray car on a gray road in a gray day disappears easiest. Thus all the gray cars produced.

Orange is statistically the safest color on the road. Thus DOTs orange cones and such.
A gray car on a gray road in a gray day disappears easiest. Thus all the gray cars produced.

And for some reason a grey car on a grey road during a grey day won't have it's damn headlights on.

Last year I had to drive in a pretty bad snow storm and you would be amazed at how many white cars didn't even have their lights on.
I wasn't even seeing them till they were less that 50 feet from me doing about 30 on fresh snow.

Dumbasses.

And for some reason a grey car on a grey road during a grey day won't have it's damn headlights on.

Last year I had to drive in a pretty bad snow storm and you would be amazed at how many white cars didn't even have their lights on.
I wasn't even seeing them till they were less that 50 feet from me doing about 30 on fresh snow.

Dumbasses.

But they can see, that's all that matters, right?

-
Back