Is butyl sealant necessary

-

sbh126

Reaction score
I've had a leaky windshield for quite some time and finally decided to fix it today. I pulled the windshield and cleaned the area but I dont trust myself reinstalling the glass and being satisfied. I called a local glass shop to get a quote and ask some questions and they are telling me I need a urethane sealant rather than the butyl that I requested. I've read on here somewhere that you're supposed to use butyl on these older cars. Does it really make a differience? I want to get it done right the first time.

Also what is the best way to prep the surface so it wont leak again? Sand, primer, and paint?

Use urethane. It'll necessitate cutting out the gasket in future if you need to replace the windshield again, but it'll well and truly seal.

This subject has been brought up many times in the last few weeks. Butyl does not harden and stays in it's gooey form to prevent leaks. Urathane will harden(not rock hard) so you better get it right the first time or it may be a beeaatch to seal once cured. I searched the net and found alot of good info on some Mustang forums on this matter.

You will want to prep the area before install. Clean, prime, paint.

Thanks for the quick reply. Butyl must be that nasty goo i've been trying to dig out all afternoon. Aparently the guys at maaco didnt feel the need to clean it out when my car was painted and now I have an orange ring around my windshield. If you want something done right, do it yourself.

If you want something done right, do it yourself.

And I would add, don't take it to Maaco. They are to paint jobs, what the Hindenburg is to dirigibles.

People are often heard saying "oh the humanities" after Maaco gets done as well.

-
Back