Is elec. choke needed on dual quads

-

challenger57

cuda57
Reaction score
I am converting my 470 stroker to dual quads. Should I use an elec. choke on the front carb. I noticed on all the Indy motor pics of duals they do not use one. I do not have one on my single carb set up and it starts up fine. I origionaly was going to EFI and my cam has a LSA of 13 degrees but my pocket won't let me. The duals are for coolness more so than power. Comp. is 11:1. Will the duals over carb it using Edelbrock 500's, it runs rich now just using a holley 750?

How cold'a weather you planning to run this thing? My first response is "no choke"

I don't run the choke on my 360 dual quad setup. The only problem I have with starting my 360 is my carbs are usually dry from sitting for a while without being started. Once I have gas it starts right up. Then I have to feather the throttle for about 30-45 seconds til it's warmed up enough.
The 500 cfms on my 360 don't seem to be too much. I have the linkage set up to act progressive, not locked at 1 to1.

I run two Edelbrock 500s on the STR-12 on my 340 and it's still a cold natured ***** when you start it - next time, no chokes

I run 2 500s on my small block with no choke at all but I live in Florida

This is a summer time ride. I do not currently use a choke with my 750, just thought I'd ask using duals- so no choke it is!

No chokes for a summer ride would be right.
If it were a in line dual plane, dual quad that see's cold weather, that would work for the temps.

Besides all that... the rear carb is the main carb, so if any of the carbs would need to get a choke, it's the rear one.

besides all that... The rear carb is the main carb, so if any of the carbs would need to get a choke, it's the rear one.

x2.....if you're using a progressive style linkage as many factory setups did.

Your initial timing, or lack of, will make a big difference? I added tunnel rams to two SBC's for people. Both had a pair of vacuum 600 Holley's with 1 to 1 primaries with no choke.

One was for show only with 9 to 1, a 230*ish hyd cam and timing in the 18/19 range.......it started and idled almost immediately.

The other had a high 11's compression engine with a low 250's solid cam that I couldn't get more then 10* initial in without it rattling it's brains out on pump gas. That engine was a bear to keep running until it was fully warmed. But after that, hang on...:D

-
Back