Is it a GT or a regular Dart in GT trim ?

-

motobro

Reaction score
Hi,
I went to look at a 69 dart gt earlier today.
It belonged to a young man who had been working on it as a project for a while and needed to sell to get some real working transportation.
He advertised it as a gt, it had the holes for the top of the door and fender trim, a 273 2brl motor, a center console. but lots of stuff was missing. I decoded the fendertag and vin, does it specifically spell out that the car is a gt on the fendertag ? The vin is LP23 D93. I know that the 2nd letter P is premium, does that mean its a GT? or is it spelled out on the fendertag ?
Thnks
Motobro

i HAD A a GT once and the the first 2 letters LP it a 273 buckets and center consul and had the rear trunk panel with the GT on it.

Real 69 GT will have rear finish panel, GT emblems on doors inside below the vent window frame and trim down the side towards the top

My 67 GT is LP, so very well could be.

LL23 = cheapy Dart Swinger 2 door

LM23 = Swinger 340

LH23 = Dart Custom 2 door

LP23 = Dart GT

LS23 = Dart GTSport

LP23 and LS23 had bucket seats and rear trunk panel Standard.

and this was line up for 69 ...other years of darts had different line ups

Do all 1967-1969 Dart Gt's have the center console and chrome shifter for the automatic transmission,or was that an option even for the GT?

Do all 1967-1969 Dart Gt's have the center console and chrome shifter for the automatic transmission,or was that an option even for the GT?

center console was an extra cost option all three years. From the 68 dart option catalog:

Attachments

• 68_Dart0012.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 162
Thanks for the info and picture. I love that style of center console,theres a 318 gt nearby that has one.

Was this a 1967-1969 only option? Personally I think the dart really went downhill after 1969.I dont like the front and rear end redesign of the 70's forward so it wouldnt shock me if the console went away too.

One more question,does the ring shaped bezel around the chrome shifter knob on the automatic with the console light up at night?

Thanks for the info and picture. I love that style of center console,theres a 318 gt nearby that has one.

Was this a 1967-1969 only option? Personally I think the dart really went downhill after 1969.
Personally I dont like the front and rear end redesign of the 70's forward so it wouldnt shock me if the console went away too.

its pretty much the same deal on later cars as far as the console being an extra charge option with bucket seat cars.

after 69 the GTS model went away so that took a lot of fun out of it ...the gts was basically a mini-GTX.

the main reason it went away is bcoz it was expensive ....69 was the first year for the swinger 340 which was a cheap muscle car and the sales boomed.....so after 70 the swinger 340 was the top model untill the Dart Demon 340 and Duster 340 took over.

the GT was around in 70 and 71 also but only as a package ....you got a Dart Custon and added the GT package which included special emblems and bucket seats ....very rare BTW.

69 and up also had the woodgrain console ...the one in the pic ^ is the 66-68 style ...starting for the 69 model year federal anti-glare laws were passed so starting in 68 in all US built cars ...interior chrome was minimized ...main reason the woodgrain emerged. the feds believed too much chrome could blind the driver in certain conditions and cause an accident

One more question,does the ring shaped bezel around the chrome shifter knob on the automatic with the console light up at night?

no, no A-body shifter knob ever lit up....only the shifter indicator on the main console body that showed what gear your in PRND21

Thanks RaniDart70,you're a wealth of info.

I didnt know that about the woodgrained consoles but leave it to the government,they ruin everything they touch. thankfully people in the 50's and 60's hadnt yet lost their minds. none of those great cars would ever be made with all of todays ridiculous rules and regulations.

I like the chrome console best.

My Dart is a 1971 GT and as such has the "A65" code numbers on the fender tag. You're right, the GT meant the buckets and center console were standard on these Darts, as opposed to the Swinger package which has the bench seat and column shifter.

My Dart is a 1971 GT and as such has the "A65" code numbers on the fender tag. You're right, the GT meant the buckets and center console were standard on these Darts, as opposed to the Swinger package which has the bench seat and column shifter.

the console would still be optional and extra cost .......there is a 70 GT locally that has the standard bucket seats .....yet has the auto on the column bcoz the original purchaser did not specify or did not want to pay for the console.

these A65 cars are pretty rare.

Attachments

• 71_Dart_Demon0006.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 109
-
Back