Is it hard to find 4-speed Demons? Or is it just my luck?

-

Gold Crusader

Reaction score
You guys know I’m hungry for my first mopar and keep my eyes open for a good deal. I found one I like but it’s auto. Personally, part of the fun for me is shifting. I keep looking for Demons with a 4-speed but autos keep popping up. We’re 4-speeds not made as much? Are autos more common? I’m not sure what to think. Is there some history as to why I see more auto demons?
Thanks!

Only 2051 71 340 4 speed Demons produced so not too many around. Interesting that I don't see any 4 speeds listed for slant 6 or 318. Just auto's and 3 speeds.

You guys know I’m hungry for my first mopar and keep my eyes open for a good deal. I found one I like but it’s auto. Personally, part of the fun for me is shifting. I keep looking for Demons with a 4-speed but autos keep popping up. We’re 4-speeds not made as much? Are autos more common? I’m not sure what to think. Is there some history as to why I see more auto demons?
Thanks!
Over the years I've run into a lot of 3 speed demons which is cool cause they still have the pedals and all the right stuff.

Last edited:
Or buy an auto, put in a full manual valve body. All your shifting with no clutch.

This isn't a wanted thread. Don't spoil it for the op by offering your car for sale. Thanks

I was just replying to his post.
I know you meant well. Send him a PM is a good idea. We don't want to turn general discussion threads into a swap meet if you know what I mean.

And as you can imagine many of the 4-speeds were run high and shifted hard and thus did not survive.

In the early 70s Dodge had a deal where you could get an automatic at no additional cost as part of a package of upgrades to entice folks to buy. As a result many original owners opted for automatics. They also had better quarter mile times unless you were named McCandless or Landy...

I agree; just buy the first nice complete one you find, and convert it to whatever you want it to be.
Lock-Up Automatics are nice because the TC acts like a two speed, and the LU is an easy half gear, so your TF acts like a 4.5 speed. With a high enough stall (say 2800) you won't even notice the wide splits.
With a smaller engine, you will have to wind it up, so be prepared to go into the high 3-series gears. This might allow you to get into third before 60 mph coming from WOT in Second, but 65 mph is gonna be right there, so unless you don't mind risking a speeding ticket; 65 is where I shut down about 99% of the time.
Just tooling around my 360 likes to be shifted at no more than 3000. With 3.55s this happens at
25,35,48, and 67mph. That's a long pull from 48 to 67, so you guessed it, that's why I have a 360. And also because shifting at 3000 the Rs fall to 2160, so yur engine is gonna need some low-rpm pressure, to climb out of that hole.
With a 4-speed, you have to be careful; Too much rear gear and the car gets a lil buzzy on the hiway.Too little gear and you can't drive them very slowly. With 3.55s and a 2.66, low gear, and 26.7" tires, your slowest speed is; 6.3@750rpm, 5.5@650, 4.6@550. You cannot drive any slower unless you slip the clutch.... so that will only sorta work for a few seconds atta time.
But 3.55s will get you 65@2900, so yur already strapped for gear.
With a manual trans you really need a Fifth gear.
I solved my problems with a 3.09 low gear and an overdrive. Which simultaneously solved the previous long pull in Third gear. The shifts now being at;
22,35,48,62 and then into 4-over at 65=2260
This rpm is about as low as you wanna cruise at with a warmed up 360. It is high enough to be reasonably efficient and low enough to not be buzzy. And with the 3.09 x3.55 starter gear 550=3.99 mph with those 26.7 tires.
Now with an A999LU, you can use 3.23s for 65=2640, and no limit on how slow you wanna go.
Or the A500 with 3.91s for 65=2200, and still no limit on how slow.
I have a soft spot in my heart for the Demon; IMO the 71 is probably the epitome of good looking Mopars of the era. But even the 6-banger models are getting pricey.

I don’t know if it has to be a Demon, But if it does best look for an automatic and convert it to 4sp.
If you’re OK with a Duster or Dart Sport you’ll have much better luck finding a standard since they were made in greater numbers.

It's hard to find any Demon.

It's even somewhat hard lately to find a V8 Demon.

It's really hard to find a factory 4 speed Demon.

A guy just down the road from me and my Demon, has a very nice, unrestored 340 4spd Demon and is the original owner. Rumor has it, he has 3-4 Demon project cars too. I know the house and a friend knows him, but be haven't gotten there to check it all out, yet.

Just my $.02...you'll need the "4 speed" hump body panel where the shifter goes, it isn't as easy as cutting a hole in the floor etc. Just an FYI. Do the research of what it takes to do a 4 speed conversion and go from there.

I just cut a rust free bucket seat car apart to build a automatic race car. There are probably around 5000 4spd. clones out there right now.

100_0057.JPG

42.JPG

62.JPG

100_0061.JPG

60.JPG

208.JPG

My 71 Demon bracket car was originally a 340/4 speed car. It has been a race car for 49 of it's 50 year existence. Unfortunately before I bought it, someone cut about 60% of the firewall & about 25 % of the transmission/driveshaft tunnel out, not to mention they torched off the left side motor mount stand. I had the firewall & tunnel replaced with aluminum & motor plated it to get it where it is today. The nice part about the aluminum tunnel is that we put Dzus fasteners in to be able to unbolt the transmission from the drivers compartment.

My 71 Demon bracket car was originally a 340/4 speed car. It has been a race car for 49 of it's 50 year existence. Unfortunately before I bought it, someone cut about 60% of the firewall & about 25 % of the transmission/driveshaft tunnel out, not to mention they torched off the left side motor mount stand. I had the firewall & tunnel replaced with aluminum & motor plated it to get it where it is today. The nice part about the aluminum tunnel is that we put Dzus fasteners in to be able to unbolt the transmission from the drivers compartment.
We are going to also put a tunnel in. The firewall has to stay due to rules for a radial tire class.

-
Back