Is it worth it?

-

Dotmann

Reaction score
I have a chance to buy a '68 Barracuda and I need some help deciding. The car's a coupe, 318 / 904, P/S being the only option. The car was painted seven years ago, at which time the current owner did cheater quarters and driver's side torsion bar mount. Otherwise, the car was solid. Still has the original floors and trunk. When it was painted seven years ago, the car was totally stripped (including glass removal) all the way and everything was taken out, except for the wiring harness. That's the way it is today; still stripped of parts, but painted. However, the paint is showing its age, somewhat, because of small scratches and a couple of chips in the paint from not being coveredall these years. The paint is presentable, but not show quality, for sure. The owner has all the stuff to put it back together, including a new interior, window felts, door seals, trunk mat, etc. It still needs bumpers, door handles, plastic rechroming and alike to make it a presentable driver. It's dark green and dark green (which doesn't help the cause). He's wanting 5K for it as-is. I figure 3500 to 4000 more to put it back together and roadworthy. I figure it's worth about 11K finished. So, the question is: is it worth the 5K he's asking? Am I right about it being worth about 11K done? Geez........I don't know

I think 5,000 is too much for that. I would probably say around 3,000 since it needs a paint job, needs a couple of pieces, and needs to be put back together.

First, you have to determine, are you looking at purchasing car for an investment to make money, or as a personal car that you would like to have for yourself. From what you've told us, if it is for investment purposes it probably won't be a big money maker at the asking price. Paint, bumpers, chrome, misc. odds and ends add up quickly. What about tires, motor, trans, etc.? Car appears to have been sitting for 7yrs. At this point anything mechanical is suspect. You also said it had rust in lower quarters and torsion mount area. Are you sure thats the only areas that had damage. Seems odd.
On the other hand, if you like the car and would like to put the labor and money into getting it like you want, then you will spend way too much on it, just like the rest of us.
Just my opinion from what you've told us. Mike

-
Back