Is there a good Dye for Seat Belts?

-

Glow Worm

"Not Your Grandmaw's 318"
Reaction score
I just bought a set of seat belts for my car. They are Blue, and I want to Dye them Black. Have any of you done this? Any Suggestions?

I don't want the dye to get on my clothing after it is dry.

I just used the stuff you buy in the grocery store, mixed it double strength and gave it a good rinse and a long drying period. It worked great and no transfer to clothes.

What year car ? I assume an early A since seatbelts were optional back then.

Look from the underside of the car - you should be able to locate the seat belt mounting holes, they'll be a nut welded to a flat plate of steel about 2 inches square or so. Use an awl and push it through the padding and carpet etc from underneath to locate their position on top. Once located take a hot soldering iron and shove it through from the topside down through the carpet and into the mounting holes, this will burn its way into the holes and thru the carpet/padding and create a heat swadged spot for the bolts to run thru and it wont tear up the carpet. On the outboard holes this will likely be impossible to get the awl thru from underside so try maybe measuring and probing from the topside down using the awl.

-
Back