Issues with a rebuilt 360

-

Owen Diaz

Reaction score
I have a 360 I just rebuilt with a 292 cam .508 lift, 3800 stall converter, reverse
D63612FF-90B8-402F-8A69-530C25F23EDE.jpeg
manual valve body, 4.10 gears, msd ignition and distributor and I replaced piston rings, both head gaskets, Lifters, pushrods, Etc and the car was running good even broke in the cam by having it sit at 2500 rpms and yesterday I turn it on and try to bleed my new radiator and all of a sudden the idle goes up to 1500 and I start getting smoke from the passenger side which I’m not sure if it’s anti freeze or oil I spilled from the day before just burning off on the headers
It also looks like the headers was starting to burn my spark plug wires a bit any help I can get with this would be very much appreciated

smoke from the passenger side huh? leaking oil filter? on the sudden upped idle - loose distributor? oh, you're going to need boot heat shields
tay-2524_ml.jpg

Also tried messing with the carburetor and was able to get it to 1k but still didn’t sound right someone recently told me I had the carburetor upside down or installed wrong so I don’t know if that could be why, I don’t think that the reason cause I had it idling for an hour and broke in the cam by holding it at 2500 rpms and it still sounded good after that

How would you install a carburetor upside down, that would take a lot of talent. LMAO

do i spot teflon tape on AN fittings?
that is....counter productive at best

as for the idle jumping up like that...vacuum leak?

I was thinking that but don’t really know where I should look
start at the carb, and look for vacuum lines
pull them off from the nipples at the carb and listen for changes in idle
if there is no change, you either have ported vacuum, or you found the line with the problem in it

it could also be a bad base gasket at the carb itself
you figure that one out by spraying carb cleaner or starter fluid at the base of the carb
if there is no change in idle, all is well

start at the carb, and look for vacuum lines
pull them off from the nipples at the carb and listen for changes in idle
if there is no change, you either have ported vacuum, or you found the line with the problem in it

it could also be a bad base gasket at the carb itself
you figure that one out by spraying carb cleaner or starter fluid at the base of the carb
if there is no change in idle, all is well
Alright I’ll give that a try but there’s no way this could be a timing issue right? Cause I don’t think it is cause the distributor was right and I didn’t touch it but it does sound advanced as hell when the car is on

Alright I’ll give that a try but there’s no way this could be a timing issue right? Cause I don’t think it is cause the distributor was right and I didn’t touch it but it does sound advanced as hell when the car is on

well, do you have a vacuum pod on your distributor?
if so, take the line off and plug it for now

see what that does

and then put some pictures up
show us what you got and let us know what carb that is

well, do you have a vacuum pod on your distributor?
if so, take the line off and plug it for now

see what that does

and then put some pictures up
show us what you got and let us know what carb that is
I don’t think so but I’ll post pictures later

I don’t think so but I’ll post pictures later
that explains why you didnt get the question about total timing
many distributors have a vacuum advance pod that will add timing under certain RPM and loads, based on engine vacuum

-
Back