It was the fuel pump the whole time

-

Funforfree33

Reaction score
Man for over a year I have cussed and blamed my carb for the constant stalling at lights and stops and overall running like crap.. Well today I went fishing and it stopped running completely. I would franticly pump the gas and it would start then stall. Its the fuel pump I say. Go to AutoZone one in stoke 18 Bucks slap it on car runs like a champ all old problems no more. runs perfect.. Couldnt believe it.. Lesson Learned

Hey, good for you. Except for a pressure and volume test you may never know......until it fails. tmm

Well heck! I got the same symptoms in my valiant, for $18 it's worth a shot. I've tried tuning it til I'm blue in the face and sitting with my head under the hood it runs great. Hit the road though and it fails miserably in the performance department.

You also may want to check the pickup tube inside the tank. If the pickup screen is missing or corroded it'll suck up any debris in the tank and clog your new pump really quick. This happened to me, I refused to believe the new pump was bad. Turns out the tank was really rusty and full of crap so I replaced it along with a new screen and shook all the garbage out of the pump too. Works great now.

-
Back