It's a simple wire!

-

canyncarvr

Reaction score
...but I'm not finding one.

Wanted: An ignition coil lead wire. Needs to be 25" long. I want 'real' wire, not suppressor. Spiral core is fine. 90º boots to fit a standard Mopar distributor cap and an FBO flamethrower coil ('standard' as far as I know...not like an Accel 14001 yellow brick sized top).

I find nothing of the sort at Summit. Napa wants 'make/model/year' which is useless. I've found nothing from MSD over 18" long.

Anyone with a source for something suitable? I would very much appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks!

Here ya go.solid core. 3 feet. 39 bucks

Screenshot_20240618_170524_Chrome.jpg

66Valiant said:
Here 'ya go.

Yes. Making one is an option. I made the set I have on now, soldered all the connections. A lot of useless parts to me for too much $$ but, yes, that is a choice.

I got the site URL.

Thanks!

Last edited:
What exactly did you solder on?
The metal parts. As obvious as that seems, I may well be missing the point of your question.

Most ignition wires have the core crimped to the terminal. Most ignition wires are of a suppressor type, so that is the only form of attachment available.

With 'real wire' sets and the core being metal, strip the wire to expose the core, clean/tin the wire, tin/pool the BACKside of the terminal. Place the tinned core wire through the hole in the terminal, bend it back to be at the tinned spot, tag it to the solder pool on the terminal. Then crimp the sheath of the wire in the terminal sleeve. There's your strain relief.

No corrosion, nothing coming loose.

I'd say, 'Of course there is,' but I don't know that for a fact. The plug wires are straight stranded wire (as opposed to spiral core). Have been for along time. If there was an audio setup in the car, I would bet it would make a LOT of noise. There isn't one. The best tune to listen to when driving it is what the engine/exhaust/drivetrain generate.

The setup doesn't bother the various spark boxes I've used over the years. My EFI can be someone else's problem!

The metal parts. As obvious as that seems, I may well be missing the point of your question.

Most ignition wires have the core crimped to the terminal. Most ignition wires are of a suppressor type, so that is the only form of attachment available.

With 'real wire' sets and the core being metal, strip the wire to expose the core, clean/tin the wire, tin/pool the BACKside of the terminal. Place the tinned core wire through the hole in the terminal, bend it back to be at the tinned spot, tag it to the solder pool on the terminal. Then crimp the sheath of the wire in the terminal sleeve. There's your strain relief.

No corrosion, nothing coming loose.

I have never EVER seen a set of plug wires with the ends soldered on.

That’s cRaZy. There is no need to solder those on if you have the correct crimping tool.

One Simple Wire
Pre-Made

Screenshot_20240618-202309_Gallery.jpg

Female end to male post E-Coil. Male end to mopar female distributor cap.

Mopar HEI conversion setup, short hop to the firewall mounted e-coil.

Screenshot_20240618-202906_Gallery.jpg

(not a good idea to have a 2 foot long coil lead)

20240618_202634.jpg

Ebay item number ^

Plugs right in, quick starts.

☆☆☆☆☆

Kendog said:
...wire by the foot...

Thanks for that. I sent 'em a note asking for caps/terminals for 8mm wire. I have summ'a those on hand...but for 7mm wire.

I had seen plenty of wire ads (some of the per/foot prices are insane), but not a link to a store than sells all sorts of ignition 'stuff'.

Kendog said:
...wire boot and terminal...

NOW you're talkin'. I got a reply to my to-seller-message in a couple of minutes, but the description of the link I got in reply did NOT specify '8mm'. I feel more confident it will fit if that description is right up top!

It's all in the works!

Thanks for the hand-held guidance!

ONward and UPward! To infinity...and beyond!! (That's a fur piece!)

I'd say, 'Of course there is,' but I don't know that for a fact. The plug wires are straight stranded wire (as opposed to spiral core). Have been for along time. If there was an audio setup in the car, I would bet it would make a LOT of noise. There isn't one. The best tune to listen to when driving it is what the engine/exhaust/drivetrain generate.

The setup doesn't bother the various spark boxes I've used over the years. My EFI can be someone else's problem!
I think Greg is suggesting that straight wire plug wires can interfere with your OWN EFI.

You should be able to find a parts store with at least SOME solid core wire. I KNOW I've seen it on ebay. I WOULD NOT under any conditions screw around soldering the connectors. Those connections are not and do not need to be low resistance

The point of soldering is for mechanical benefit, not to reduce resistance. Anyone is more than welcome to fuss not with it.

This will likely open a different can of worms, but I did ask FBO if they had solid coil wires for sale. The response was:

FBO said:
Absolutely NO you can't run a solid core wire you'll get constant RI (radio interference) causing constant miss fires.

I've run solid (including the coil lead wire) for over 40 years with no such problems. Yes, with neither resistor plugs or caps. I'm special? Maybe FBO's HRR688 has a problem with RFI? In fact, I've had one of their boxes sitting IN a box for years, was planning on putting it in...which is why I'm looking for a new coil lead wire.

The fact that RFI exists and makes noise in (probably AM) radio does NOT directly correlate to, '...therefore you can't use one in an ignition system.' Now, if it is known that an HRR688 can't run with solid wires, I would think that would be in the literature for the product. I don't recall ever reading such a thing. Besides, there was NO mention of that box in the FBO response I received.

Maybe it's one of those, 'Don't go swimming for an hour after you eat,' ideas, or, 'Salt in your diet increases the risk of heart attack,' or, 'If your cholesterol # is over 200, you need to be on medication for the rest of your life!' Maybe it (the RFI idea) is a facTOID that has worked its way into the 'Things We Know to be True' database that has no basis on which to be there in the first place.

Some spearminting is on the way, I'm sure.

Last edited:
-
Back