Jeep stuck in 4WD. Can someone help??

-

myasylum

Reaction score
Howdy!

I have a 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I have to shift it into 4WD manualy. Its always been really tight, and kind of hard to shift. I brought it into a shop years ago, and I was told that they are all hard to shift. Well, the thing is... now its stuck. I mean I can get the lever to move, but it's stuck in gear. Now that the snow is melted, the car doesn't like to turn without making a clunking sound, or the wheel having a "wobbling" feeling. I'd love to get this back into 2WD. Is it just a cable, or linkage? It sucks its so cold out now. Thats why If I could get some help, before I go blindly looking at this.

The car has 180,000mi. on it. It leaks some oil, and anti-freeze, and the brake petal is starting to "sink". kind of feels like the anti lock in engaging. I'm starting to wonder if maybe it's just done? :(

Thanks much!

Sounds like the linkage is popped off the transfer case. They are all notorious for that. Crawl under it and check it out. I bet it's disconnected. usually they break the little clip because if they are not shifter into 4WD every now and then, they remain stiff and eventually pop the clip off or break it.

Both my Cherokees do that,, if you drive around awhile it'll pop out by itself, It is annoying,, It wasn't a linkage problem, you could still feel the detents.. I think its just sticky from lack of use... gear hangs or somesuch.. If the lever flops back and forth,, probably a linkage problem, as StrokerScamp says, .. if lever is still stiff, and moves to 2 wd,, just leave it there and it'll come out.. imho

Is there a way to get it to shift more loosely? Even when it worked, I hated shifting it because it felt like something was going to snap!

Is this a pretty easy fix? Easy to get too? Do you know what the cost of the clip may be?

Thanks!

Yup. Shift it into 4WD more often.

Is there a way to get it to shift more loosely? Even when it worked, I hated shifting it because it felt like something was going to snap!

Is this a pretty easy fix? Easy to get too? Do you know what the cost of the clip may be?

Thanks!

pentrating fluid my friend. it will help unstick the linkages, I have a dakota that the linkage is hard to move, with some pentrating fluid and working the transfercase through its gears it moves much more free now

Sometimes it helps to drive in reverse after you shift, my old 91 cherokee was hard to shift but would pop out if i backed up about 50 feet or so.

-
Back