Just Installed my New Compressor Today

-

ramcharger

Dismember
Reaction score
I installed the new breaker box during wed evening and did the plumbing and the rest of the wiring today. As you can see, my crappy *** Husky oiless I bought 5 years ago finally bit the dust. More pics and descriptions to come.

Both my camera and compressor crapped out in the same month. Thank Goodness I've been putting in some serious hours at work. Here's a pic of the piston and ring from the Husky.

Oop's your new camera dropped a piston

The Husky was a 32 gallon 1.7 hp running model that I got for 199 bucks off the floor about 5 years ago. I beat the crap out of that thing to the point of having to remove the shroud to keep it from overheating and shutting down. Many times that thing ran for 6 hours straight to keep up with my die grinder when porting heads, lol.

For the new comp I had to install a new breaker box to run a 230v circuit:

I had to wire up the compressor too. I went a little overkill on the 50A circuit and plugs but I figure I can upgrade to a 5hp motor and compressor one day in the future.

I say you got your money 5 fold out of the old one :cheers:
Nice neat work you got dune there Joe :thumbrig:
Yep :drunken: one day brother who knows :drinkers: burb:drunken:
I lost count so I bet I will be gone tonight in just a few minutes :happy10:

are those pictures out of focus lol

I figured that the tank on the Husky was still fine so I'm using as an additional resevoir. With the new comp at 60 gallons and the Husky at 32 I now have 92 gallons of air at my disposal.

I put a little thought into this. The connector from the 3/4" pipe T is an automotive style 3/8" high capacity style female connector to the same male connector on the Husky. I have a ball valve on both compressors so I can just dissconect the Husky and roll it away charged with air or shut the valve off, disconnect it and use the big female connector if I need the additional flow to run a 3/4" impact. I'm hoping that will also help to cool the air and collect water and oil too.

The new CH compressor is bolted to the floor and is way quieter than the old Husky and fills both tanks faster than the Husky could do just one. Once most of the piping was done I ran the CH to about 60 psi and opened up the ball valve to blow the garbage out of the new pipes before I put the quick disconnect fittings on... It just about blew everything off of 20' of bench, lol.

I say you got your money 5 fold out of the old one :cheers:
Nice neat work you got dune there Joe :thumbrig:
Yep :drunken: one day brother who knows :drinkers: burb:drunken:
I lost count so I bet I will be gone tonight in just a few minutes :happy10:

are those pictures out of focus lol

You sure it's my pictures Mike? :read2: Yeah, I got my money's worth out that POS Husky and I'm still using the tank so what the heck. I honestly thought that if I got two years out of that I'd be happy. It went for 399 but it was a return so they whacked the price for me but no warranty. :cheers:

What a great idea :happy10: air to go anyone :cheers:

What a great idea :happy10: air to go anyone :cheers:

I'm thinking that would slide right in the back of the RC for when I'm racing my Duster that isn't done yet, lol. Nothing better than some spare air. 8)

I haven't told my landlord yet. I'll call him tommorow and ask if I can install the new breaker box. :) He'll be thrilled anyway since it only adds value to the property and he may even reimburse me for parts.

If not I'll put the 40 year old 2 circuit POS box back in when I move.

spare air :toothy10::toothy7:
Treva is asking me what's got me laughing :happy7:

spare air :toothy10::toothy10::toothy10: I laugh every time I say it

spare air 8) excuse me please, do you have some spare air to spare sir 8)
The pictures look great :poke:=D> I better get off here for tonight I am getting way to silly, I can't stop saying Spare Air :happy10::happy10:

spare air :toothy10::toothy7:
Treva is asking me what's got me laughing :happy7:

spare air :toothy10::toothy10::toothy10: I laugh every time I say it

spare air 8) excuse me please, do you have some spare air to spare sir 8)
The pictures look great :poke:=D> I better get off here for tonight I am getting way to silly, I can't stop saying Spare Air :happy10::happy10:

LMAO! Beware, too much spare air could launch a man off his chair.

Nice idea of piggybacking the two tanks together. that may be what I end up doing when I set up my compressor this winter.

I figured that the tank on the Husky was still fine so I'm using as an additional resevoir. With the new comp at 60 gallons and the Husky at 32 I now have 92 gallons of air at my disposal.

I put a little thought into this. The connector from the 3/4" pipe T is an automotive style 3/8" high capacity style female connector to the same male connector on the Husky. I have a ball valve on both compressors so I can just dissconect the Husky and roll it away charged with air or shut the valve off, disconnect it and use the big female connector if I need the additional flow to run a 3/4" impact. I'm hoping that will also help to cool the air and collect water and oil too.

The new CH compressor is bolted to the floor and is way quieter than the old Husky and fills both tanks faster than the Husky could do just one. Once most of the piping was done I ran the CH to about 60 psi and opened up the ball valve to blow the garbage out of the new pipes before I put the quick disconnect fittings on... It just about blew everything off of 20' of bench, lol.

Nice set up. I can't tell for sure but if you do not have it already put some rubber between the floor and tank of the new compressor. An old tire cut works well. If you dig deep in to the owner manual you will find that solid mounting it to the concrete will void your warranty. It will also add some noise abatement.

Nice idea of piggybacking the two tanks together. that may be what I end up doing when I set up my compressor this winter.

I think that it would have worked better as a water trap if I piped the air in one end and and out the other but the air outlet is too small on the Husky tank (1/4" NPT) and would restrict air flow. Piping it in that manner would also remove the portability quotient from the equation.

You guys are a gas.

Good to see you back in action Ram. Make yourself indespensable to your company.

I really need to find a compressor of that size for my shop!

That same model is rebadged by quite a few home improvement centers. The motor is from China and I don't expect it to last too long but it did come with a 3 year on-site warranty. After the 3 years are up and it quits, I'll upgrade to a 5hp motor hence the heavy (8 ga.) tail I put in and the 50 A circuit, then a better compressor head.

This one is rated at 10.2 CFM @ 90 psi and I found one rated at 15.5 CFM at 150 psi that is designed for a 5 hp motor. The motor on this is a common NEMA 56 frame too so replacing it won't be a big deal. I'd have to upgrade the pressure switch too.

Nice set up. I can't tell for sure but if you do not have it already put some rubber between the floor and tank of the new compressor. An old tire cut works well. If you dig deep in to the owner manual you will find that solid mounting it to the concrete will void your warranty. It will also add some noise abatement.

Great info! I'll check my manual.

Good skills as always!

Good to hear from a professonal plumber. Thanks Tnplumber!

The pictures sure look much clearer today 8) your new camera looks to be a dandy Joe :happy10:

Sorry I lost it last night, I sure was a happy fellow and got silly on ya, Thank you for a good laugh, toplscuda is right, it will be even more quieter on a pad of some kind under each leg and it does warn you NOT to bold to a concrete slab with out them, something to do with when the piston top's and bottoms out. I bet you can get your hands on 4 shock pads at some of your job locations 8)

The pictures sure look much clearer today 8) your new camera looks to be a dandy Joe :happy10:

Sorry I lost it last night, I sure was a happy fellow and got silly on ya, Thank you for a good laugh, toplscuda is right, it will be even more quieter on a pad of some kind under each leg and it does warn you NOT to bold to a concrete slab with out them, something to do with when the piston top's and bottoms out. I bet you can get your hands on 4 shock pads at some of your job locations 8)

Mike, no need to apologize, you were cracking me up. :cheers:

No shortage of old tires around here. I'll whip out the old sawzall and make a few pads. :)

-
Back