Just picked up a 1961 Valiant 4 door

-

Old Dodge Dude

Reaction score
Just got my new ride.1 wheel is locked up.Pulled the tire released brake adjusters locked solid any ideas.

20240718_101629.jpg

20240718_101514.jpg

Nice looking car! Possible a spring rusted thru and shoes are jammed into drum. Have to do like Animal on the Muppets: "beat drum!". Hopefully, it pops loose.

Welcome aboard. You're going to want to put a thread with your issue in the appropriate section in the forum. Sounds like the brake section will be best. That way, it will get more views and responses than here.

Hey, sharp! Interesting mix of V-100 (no factory side trim except the short spears running forward from the taillights) and V-200 (three "sergeant stripes" atop each tailfin); which trim level was it built as? The VIN will tell.

Is this a Canadian-built car? There are some mechanical differences to the US-built ones. For example, an alternator was optional on Canadian Valiants until 1963; a DC generator was standard equipment. The carburetor anti-ice system factory-installed on all US/Canada '69 Slant-6s was optional starting in '60 or '61 in Canada. Auto-Lite (Prestolite) distributors on pre-'67 Canadian-built Slant-6 engines, too, which means different points, different rotor, and sometimes a different distributor cap. Most all these differences have disappeared from parts cattledogs, which (to the extent they bother listing parts for these oldies) just use the American info.

Last edited:
I agree with muppet animal comment "beat drum" ! Its a good place to start. I like the addition of '62 Lancer wheel well trim. Agree with others on value of reviewing brake section if you haven't already.

Here's another vote for beating on the drum. Sometimes the shoes and drum become one, a good jarring can get them to separate. I got one free once by putting heater hose over a 1/2" steel bar (to protect the threads) and rotated the drum using the studs as leverage points. I assume the e-brake is off?

-
Back