K car, anyone?

-

clhyer

Reaction score
This isn't A-body, but it is "Mopar". Seen an old K car on the side of the road for sale last week and it got me to wondering how hard it would be to install a newer fuel injected sideways four banger into one? Maybe from an early 90's (what) LaBaron or something?

Just wondering, years ago we owned an "un-reliant" that was a pos (engine-wise), but with the price of gas and a newer power plant... Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks,
C

Since the later Daytonas were built on a modified (and only slightly) K chassis, most everything you'd want is a bolt-in. Find a wrecked Spirit R/T and rob the 224hp 2.2 Turbo/tranny/wiring harnesses/suspension/wheels,etc and you'd have a 13 second sleeper.

There's lots of info online about turbo swaps into non-turbo cars... check out http://www.turbododge.com/

PS: Direct Connection used to sell a new front engine cradle to mount a small block V8 into the K body... now that would be cool!

I had a K-car.
It had a 2.2 4 speed.

I don't know if I should be embarrased by this but it was a very fun car to drive.
It was so light and zipped around pretty darn well, was great on gas.

I wanted to hot rod it out, but I sold it for a couple hundred bucks to a buddy that needed a car badly.

It would be real easy to install a later FI eng in it. I have a '87 K-box in my yard that is FI so you could just swap in later K-box drivetrain and harness. Some even came with 2.5's.

Chuck

I got a 87 Reliant wagon for my winter beater. FI, 2.5 Lt.
This thing runs geat. To bad it is rotting away. Just had to
replace a rear brake line. Good thing I could do it myself.
It would have cost more to fix it than the car is worth.

july1_2007.jpg

khome2.jpg

Thanks for the info, gives me something to mull over during these cold winter days...
C

OMG! A K-Car that is NOT behind a tow truck! ;) In all honesty, though, those cars saved Chyrsler along with countless jobs and if you got a reliant you generally got your money's worth. Boy do THOSE bring back some memories!

-LY

That car saved chrysler (with Lee Iococca) and was one of the best cars I've ever owned. I wish i could find one with low mileage now, Walt:cheers:

I had a four door K-car with air. Couldn't: merge onto the highway, couldn't pass unless going down a hill, brakes went every 6 months, exhaust had to be replaced every year, hood popped open and up on the highway.... one good thing...GREAT gas mileage!!!!

There is no doubt that you can pick up these cars for next to nothing.
The old turbo cars sure can go with some minor mods and get fuel economy to boot.
I had a 86 turbo 5 speed mini van, with the parts from a 87 Turbo daytona.

The last project we did was a 2.5 turbo 5sp Accalaim. The car was an auto 2.2 car, and got a free Shadow that was written off and spliced the wiring harness, and complete motor and 5 sp trans into it. It makes a boring car a lot more fun to drive.

acclaim1s.JPG

TMis.JPG

-
Back