K-Frame modifications - making a DC K-Frame

-

RATKLR

Reaction score
Looking for advice on the proper measurements to modify an a-body small block spool mount k-frame to mount a big block, like the old DC k-frame modifications. I read somewhere that there was a guy named Jim Lusk that does this or perhaps has proper information on how to make the modifications. Any help would be appreciated.

Jim Lusk is on here and has YouTube videos about this

https://www.youtube.com/user/1968GTSJimLusk/videos

And some more

Make Your Own DC-K Frame

Also, there was a thread about this on here a few weeks back, and I came to (my own) conclusion that elephant ears might make more sense---header clearance, for one, and might be easier to deal with than mounts. I believe one guy recommended milliing off the water pump housing, allowing the use of a stock pulley stack

Last edited:
Yup you read right. @Jim Lusk is the man. I tagged him so maybe he'll chime in.

Yup you read right. @Jim Lusk is the man. I tagged him so maybe he'll chime in.
I'm hoping that he does chime in. I read on a very old thread, maybe from 2010, that he had a PDF of the instructions. I've seen the video, and maybe I need to go back and watch it again. He indicates how much aft setback is required, but I'm not sure I saw how far down to make the cuts. I'm pretty sure that my fab skills are up to the task, just want to make sure I don't screw it up. Spool mount k-frames just aren't as easy to find as they used to be.

Jim pops in every now and again. His videos are really good. If you get him on here personally, he is very good to talk to.

Yeah, I'm here about every day. The instructions are still on www.bigblockdart.com, but I haven't been there in years (apparently somebody hacked my account and the current owners of the site couldn't give a rat's behind about it).

The cut just needs to be below the mount, but I cut the passenger side roughly equal to the outer weld and the driver side below the dog leg in the forward ear (if that makes sense). Set the passenger side back 13/16" and the driver side back 1-3/16".

Yeah, I'm here about every day. The instructions are still on www.bigblockdart.com, but I haven't been there in years (apparently somebody hacked my account and the current owners of the site couldn't give a rat's behind about it).

The cut just needs to be below the mount, but I cut the passenger side roughly equal to the outer weld and the driver side below the dog leg in the forward ear (if that makes sense). Set the passenger side back 13/16" and the driver side back 1-3/16".

I hate that happened to that site. What a wealth of information it was. Now it's full of **** ads. I wish somebody would buy it and clean it back up again. @Joeychgo are you listenin? #ForBigBlockDartsOnly?

Last edited:
Now that’s an excellent idea.
Lock it out and keep it as an Archive!
What would that take Joey?!?

I just watched the videos again. You mention in the video that the cut is down 1-3/4" parallel to the saddle for the driver's side. I just didn't hear a measurement mentioned for the length down from the saddle on the passenger side. You just used a ruler as a parallel. I figure I'll do the same.

Yes, I'm sure. I know some of the people over there. They don't sell the sites they buy.

They also don't respond to questions/problems. I lost my password and could never get back in. Somebody put a **** site in my sig line and I can't get back in to fix it. I can't imagine that the site makes them much money with the way it's run. The real wealth of knowledge is elsewhere now. It was a fun place way back when.

They also don't respond to questions/problems. I lost my password and could never get back in. Somebody put a **** site in my sig line and I can't get back in to fix it. I can't imagine that the site makes them much money with the way it's run. The real wealth of knowledge is elsewhere now. It was a fun place way back when.

Its unfortunate for sure. So many sites end up there.

Internet Brands is the other big guy on the block. Sites - Internet Brands Automotive Group and they pretty much operate the same way.

-
Back