K frame relationship to steering box

-

e50095

Reaction score
Sorry guys I looked for the answer to this and keep coming up empty. I've read you can use either the 67-72 V8 K frame or the 73-76, provided you use the pitman, idler arm, and center link from the same option you choose. I'm going 340 and want to ditch my 67 /6 frame. I have a 73-76 V8 frame with the correct center link and sway bar, as well as Jim Lusk reinforced lower control arms.

My concern is does this mean I have to ditch my 67-72 steering box for a 73-76 because of the sector shaft difference and resulting pitman arm incompatibility? If so is there any workaround for it? I appreciate any input...

The K frame has no relationship to the steering box at all. The one glitch is 67 only K which uses the oddball stud mount idler arm at the K. That is one year only, but some guys convert them

So 68-76 the K is immaterial. The key is you must have a pitman obviously to fit the box, and the rest of the linkage must match the pitman. Those 4 pieces, the box, the pitman, the idler and the center link mus all be compatible.

I've lost track but I think the later boxes are all "big spline" so take a pitman with of course big splines.

I'm thinking this is great news. If I'm processing correctly I can ditch the oddball 67 k frame and replace it with my 73-76 which will allow me to use the 73-76 sway bar and LC arms. I just need to keep my 67 box, pitman, and center link, a buy a new 68-72 idler arm.

I'm thinking this is great news. If I'm processing correctly I can ditch the oddball 67 k frame and replace it with my 73-76 which will allow me to use the 73-76 sway bar and LC arms. I just need to keep my 67 box, pitman, and center link, a buy a new 68-72 idler arm.
Yes. You have the steering fingered out. Some find a issue to work around at power steering pump/hose routing with engine and K member mismatch. I dont know if its late engine on early K or vise versa. Solution has been found and posted.

Thank you guys so much for your help...

73 up power steering cars use a large sector shaft. More than likely you need to use all the 73 up steering gear because of the large sector shaft. Box, pitman, idler, and center link. The tie rod ends and adjusting sleeves will work from the 67.

67-72 power steering boxes used a small diameter sector shaft. They actually used the same pitman arm as manual steering cars.

I believe that is correct

-
Back