K-Member for engine swap

-

dartjack

Reaction score
I have a 75 Dart /6. It has the spool motor mounts. Did Ma Mopar use the same K member for all the engines with spool mounts or will I need the V8 one?

Thanks,
Jackie

/6 & V8 are different. You can use mounts from Schumacher Creative Services (or I've seen some other factory-based combinations posted on here; just do a search on this website) if you don't want to change the K-Member.

The Schumauker mounts are very good quality, have them. For the price of a new K-Member and mounts, you can mod your existing K-member, and probably redo all your control arm bushings for the same price.

If you can find a 73-76 V8 k-member it can easily be modified to accept a big block with factory mounts (details are at big block dart). Even using Schumacher mounts you will have to modify your slant k-member. I've never paid more than $20 for a k-member at the self serve yards here in California. Mounts have become a little harder to find, but are out there. Check e-bay and swap meets. If you do the welding (or have a friend) you can do it this way for under $75.

If you remove the K-member, seriously consider having it gusseted by the steering box mount, reinforce the lower control arm mounting areas, and have the perimeters of the pieces that create the k-member welded. A small skid plate is good insurance,too. You will not believe how much this improves the steering/handling of the car!

Great info, 6T9, do you have any pictures of this. I plan on putting a 440 into a 318 '68 'Cuda.

I have a 75 Dart /6. It has the spool motor mounts. Did Ma Mopar use the same K member for all the engines with spool mounts or will I need the V8 one?

Thanks,
Jackie

No. They are not all the same. Someone from the older A-body group will have to help with this one. The front track was widened when the 273 came out. The /6 and V-8 I understand used the same K-member. From 67-72, there were three different ones used /6, LA, & B/RB (67-69). From 73 on, just one K-member, the spool mount. The spool mounts for the 273/318 and 340/360 are available from mass market sources. A Schumacher B/RB kit for your K-frame ought to take care of a big block.

72 you are close. There are actually six different k-members from 67-72, two of each that you mentioned. 67 had a unique idler arm, but the rest of the k-member is the same. There were two 73-76 k-members, V8 and /6, both with spool mounts. The spool mount V8 k-member is the one that Chrysler modified into the Direct Connection k-member in the mid-70s.

All early a-bodies (66-earlier) used the same k-member AND rubber mounts. The engine brackets were different between a 273 and /6.

-
Back