Kind of like an old Vietnam story about a 67 Corvette in the barn

-

jimharvard

JimHarvard
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
have any of my fellow A body guys bought a car and then forgot about it?

i did 23 years in the Marines and then 2 in the Army finishing with a combat tour in Iraq 2005-06. when i got back home. i was pretty messed up, actually, really messed up and started PTSD therapy that went on for 10 years. early on, around 2008, my therapist suggested that i find something that i really enjoyed and i told him i like old mopars. so he suggested i find one to throw myself into. i found a nice driver quality gold 1969 383 4 speed Formula S fastback numbers matching Barracuda down in South Carolina, bought it and had it shipped to my house in Pittsburgh, PA. i drove it around my housing plan a couple of times and then parked it in my garage, where it sat - for the last 12 years!!

for some reason, i ended up buying three other Barracudas. two 68's and a 69 440 M-Code Cuda. i completely restored one of the 68's and have the 69 M-Code car about 50% completed. i built a new garage and recently moved all the cars and parts to that location, and oddly, "rediscovered" the 69 383 Formula S car.

what i am finding about this forgotten car is that it is really a rather rare car, and one i should have been working on sooner than 12 years after i bought it. i had the car full of parts and in cleaning it out and putting the parts on shelves, discovered all kinds of stuff i apparently also purchased and then forgot about. and then about the car.

this car is a gold fastback "H" code car indicating it was an original 383 car. everything is original on this car - the motor with the chrome valve covers and chrome coil, 4 speed trans, headers; all kinds of odd stuff like rear window defogger blower motor (that works); a clock in the dash; under dash "map light"; dellux interior with headrests; Formula S package; "accent stripe delete"; front disc brakes. i guess this car was ordered as a "sleeper" race car as the only indication of the drivetrain is a chrome "383 Formula S" chrome ornament on both front fenders.

as i noted, this car hasn't been run for 12 years so i'm doing lots of basic stuff. i changed the oil and oil filter; new fuel filter; new battery and cables; drained the old gas; new brake fluid and working on the brakes front and back. i've got a new mini starter ordered as the original 69 giant mopar unit quit working shortly after i parked it. i've got a new clutch kit ordered from Summit as the pressure plate is stuck. i'm going to remove all the plugs and shoot WD-40 in the cylinders before i crank the motor. and hopefully by next week, this "forgotten car" will come back to life! here's some pics of the car. check out all the codes on the original fender tag.

pic 14.jpg

pic 1.jpg

pic 3.jpg

pic 4.jpg

pic 5.jpg

pic 6.jpg

pic 7.jpg

pic 10.jpg

pic 11.jpg

pic 13.jpg

Great car. Even better story behind it. Im sure it means alot to you, more than just a really nice Formula S!

Great car. Even better story behind it. Im sure it means alot to you, more than just a really nice Formula S!

i grew up on a farm in W.Va. and have always been drawn more towards the "common" "driver quality" cars rather than the really expensive and "perfect" restored ones. i guess i like taking a car that "needs some love", fixing it up and bringing back some its "pride" from when it was new. over these past years, these cars have been my "therapy" and each one of them are special to me in different ways. i am looking forward to driving the 383 car again. it has a 3:91 rear gear and with the torque of a a big block, it should be "fun" "red light to red light."

:usflag:I’m sad over the ptsd and the damage you incurred for our country.
Thank you for your service!

You picked some really nice cars! No go enjoy them. Remember it’s not the destination but the journey.

have any of my fellow A body guys bought a car and then forgot about it?

i did 23 years in the Marines and then 2 in the Army finishing with a combat tour in Iraq 2005-06. when i got back home. i was pretty messed up, actually, really messed up and started PTSD therapy that went on for 10 years. early on, around 2008, my therapist suggested that i find something that i really enjoyed and i told him i like old mopars. so he suggested i find one to throw myself into. i found a nice driver quality gold 1969 383 4 speed Formula S fastback numbers matching Barracuda down in South Carolina, bought it and had it shipped to my house in Pittsburgh, PA. i drove it around my housing plan a couple of times and then parked it in my garage, where it sat - for the last 12 years!!

for some reason, i ended up buying three other Barracudas. two 68's and a 69 440 M-Code Cuda. i completely restored one of the 68's and have the 69 M-Code car about 50% completed. i built a new garage and recently moved all the cars and parts to that location, and oddly, "rediscovered" the 69 383 Formula S car.

what i am finding about this forgotten car is that it is really a rather rare car, and one i should have been working on sooner than 12 years after i bought it. i had the car full of parts and in cleaning it out and putting the parts on shelves, discovered all kinds of stuff i apparently also purchased and then forgot about. and then about the car.

this car is a gold fastback "H" code car indicating it was an original 383 car. everything is original on this car - the motor with the chrome valve covers and chrome coil, 4 speed trans, headers; all kinds of odd stuff like rear window defogger blower motor (that works); a clock in the dash; under dash "map light"; dellux interior with headrests; Formula S package; "accent stripe delete"; front disc brakes. i guess this car was ordered as a "sleeper" race car as the only indication of the drivetrain is a chrome "383 Formula S" chrome ornament on both front fenders.

as i noted, this car hasn't been run for 12 years so i'm doing lots of basic stuff. i changed the oil and oil filter; new fuel filter; new battery and cables; drained the old gas; new brake fluid and working on the brakes front and back. i've got a new mini starter ordered as the original 69 giant mopar unit quit working shortly after i parked it. i've got a new clutch kit ordered from Summit as the pressure plate is stuck. i'm going to remove all the plugs and shoot WD-40 in the cylinders before i crank the motor. and hopefully by next week, this "forgotten car" will come back to life! here's some pics of the car. check out all the codes on the original fender tag.

View attachment 1715594318

View attachment 1715594319

View attachment 1715594321

View attachment 1715594322

View attachment 1715594323

View attachment 1715594324

View attachment 1715594325

View attachment 1715594326

View attachment 1715594327

View attachment 1715594328

The fisherman !!

Love your car! Here is a picture of a 69-383s I owned for 25 years. It also is a stripe delete car, but had no stripes at all. I have a video of the car when it was very new and it never had any stripes. Interesting, I see your tag has the V78 code, which I believe is the stripe delete code. Good luck with all your projects.

rod's 383-s.jpg

Thanks for your service to our country.

I too am drawn toward the more driver type car than the perfect example. I guess I am just not a fancy kind of car guy. I do appreciate the perfectly restored and built cars just not me.

Awesome story, awesome car, and a well deserved high five thank you from me for serving our country and having to endure the hardships that came with that job. Love your garage by the way!

Cool garage, cooler cars! And God bless you for your service and continued personal progress.

Thank you for sharing your story, pics of the cars, and your service!
I would love to see more pics.
Personally, I haven't forgotten about a whole car that I have owned, but have forgotten about parts that I bought and stashed away years ago.
Sometimes it's a treasure hunt in itself.......

:usflag:I’m sad over the ptsd and the damage you incurred for our country.
Thank you for your service!

You picked some really nice cars! No go enjoy them. Remember it’s not the destination but the journey.

thank you for those kind words. i came from a military family. my dad was a WW2 Marine in the Pacific; one brother did 4 years in the Marines 2 years combat in Vietnam; my other brother did 2 years in active Army and 20 years in the W.Va. National Guard. i always knew i'd spend twenty years in the military and it was a fun time - till the wars started. the military is a lot of fun when there are no wars. when a war starts, the "fun" kind of goes out of military missions.

Love your car! Here is a picture of a 69-383s I owned for 25 years. It also is a stripe delete car, but had no stripes at all. I have a video of the car when it was very new and it never had any stripes. Interesting, I see your tag has the V78 code, which I believe is the stripe delete code. Good luck with all your projects.

View attachment 1715594378

i've seen your car a lot on various car sites on the internet over the years. it's funny to think that all the pics we post about our cars end up cycling around the internet to various car sites we might not even know about. your car is very nice!

Awesome story, awesome car, and a well deserved high five thank you from me for serving our country and having to endure the hardships that came with that job. Love your garage by the way!

thanks for your nice words which are appreciated. i've got the garage set up for this winter with everything organized and arranged. i did one of my other cars (the bronze 68) over at my house and had spent a lot of time setting up the garage. i really don't like to do the "hunt for that damn tool" routine when i'm working on these cars. it is a lot more fun working when you can get your hand on the stuff you need right away. the "racing stripe" on the wall? that's "3 dimensional" - i used 1x4x8 sheeting boards and ripped them in half and used the wide board for the middle of the stripe and the ripped boards for the smaller stripes. i wanted something to look at while working. the rest of the garage was painted to try and make it look like a "racing" garage - LOL!

Very cool car, Jim! I always enjoy seeing your vehicles as you never mess around when you buy something. Also, thanks for your service. I knew you had served, but not the depth that you've eluded to here. Thank you!

Jim God bless you and thank you for your service. PTSD is no joke. I am a Viet Nam vet.with PTSD also. My Demon and my old Ford trucks have been my therapy for the last 50 years.

Jim God bless you and thank you for your service. PTSD is no joke. I am a Viet Nam vet.with PTSD also. My Demon and my old Ford trucks have been my therapy for the last 50 years.

my older brother did two tours in Vietnam in the Marines 68-70 at NAS Marble Mountain, and hill 886. he spent two years after his return just "roaming around" trying to find peace. my dad was a WW2 Marine in the Pacific and died shortly after i returned from iraq in 2006. i wish i would have had more time with him after i returned. i think he could have helped me deal with various problems i had. my mother never talked much about what my dad was like when he got back other than a few comments about him having bad dreams sometimes and jumping out of bed and running outside and getting on the ground. PTSD is an odd thing. it is like a "switch" that can get triggered by just a random event or image. i hope you've been able to find some peace. i can completely understand you spending a lot of time with your Demon and ford trucks. when i'm working on one of my Barracudas and listening to oldies on the radio, i can forget about iraq for a while. take care.

I can not remember where I put that part 5 minute ago!

Hey Jim, give s a quick update on all your BB A bodies!!

i'm currently working on the gold 383 car installing a new mini starter and a borgeson steering box. there's a bunch of pics here on FABO under the threat "you have to be insane to have long tube headers on a big block A-body Mopar." check out the pics...

-
Back