LA aluminium heads on 5.9 magnum

-

1974scamp

Reaction score
Hi guys,

can somebody confirm please that i can run LA aluminium heads (edelbrock knock off) on a 5.9 magnum block if i use the PRW 3231812 rockers?
Obviously along with hollow pushrods, but i will have to measure the length first.
Some people say you need to drill the adjusters of the rockers, some people say you dont.

Thanks for the help!

Hi guys,

can somebody confirm please that i can run LA aluminium heads (edelbrock knock off) on a 5.9 magnum block if i use the PRW 3231812 rockers?
Obviously along with hollow pushrods, but i will have to measure the length first.
Some people say you need to drill the adjusters of the rockers, some people say you dont.

Thanks for the help!
yes.. BUT you have to make sure those adjusters on the rockers are hollow to let the oil flow and that the rockers are drilled to also let the oil flow through.. I looked at a couple of pages that sell them and didn't see that listed.

So some of these come with drilled adjuster amd some not drilled??

So some of these come with drilled adjuster amd some not drilled??
yeah, i have the mancini alum rockers and the rockers come with the oil holes drilled through the rocker so basically oil comes up the pushrod, into the adjuster then into the rocker through the adjuster hole/threads in the rocker, the ones you listed, i have been looking but can't find any good pics or info saying they will use pushrod oiling..

P.S. with the mancini ones you have to order the oil through adjusters separately and they are already too expensive now.. price went up in the last year

This post shows the holes they need for oil through pushrod and you would still need the proper adjusters

BTW.. only way to be 100% sure would be to contact PRW.... anything you don't check will always screw you if it can.

I believe some of the very early Magnum blocks still had the LA oiling passages Not sure what years this was but would be worth researching

yeah if it's a early block you might be lucky...

would be great if someone sold a jig/drillbit to just drill that hole

My block doesnt have the oil holes, and i need new 1.6 rockers anyway.

So ill contact prw then

you can see the pic of the adjusters with the groove around them to let oil flow...

Also.. not sure if normal mopar lifters pump oil... i believe you can use AMC ones

you can see the pic of the adjusters with the groove around them to let oil flow...

Also.. not sure if normal mopar lifters pump oil... i believe you can use AMC ones
I'm not even sure you can get "normal" mopar lifters now, they're all the same because a solid pushrod just blocks the hole.
1725655050505.png

Actually.. if he's using a Magnum block he's probably using a roller cam with OEM lifters made for pushrod oiling.. issue solved...

Yeah i will be using magnum oem roller lifters, and a #722 cam regrind of oregon.
so i should have 1.6 ratio rockers otherwise the kit of mancini would be great

Yeah i will be using magnum oem roller lifters, and a #722 cam regrind of oregon.
so i should have 1.6 ratio rockers otherwise the kit of mancini would be great
ahh k... i went with 1.5s.. they have 1.6 but not in that kit.. if you call them they would probably swap 1.6s in, they are awesome there

I did exactly what you are talking about doing. 5.9 Magnum bottom end with Speedmaster LA heads. I made videos detailing what I did. Check them out if you are interested.

Cley

-
Back