Lash Caps

-

bobscuda67

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a problem with my roller rocker arms on my magnum headed 340. To set the rocker arms correctly, I either have to mill down the pedestals or leathen the valve with lash caps. I've never delt with lash caps before and was wondering how they stay on the valve tip. Are they pressed on? Do I have cut them to fit as I only have .100 between the keeper and the end of the valve. How much clearance from the keeper do I need? Thanks, I know someone here can help me. Bob

I have looked into using lash caps and most will add .060-.080 to the length. A suction is created between the lash cap and the valve to hold them on. There is also a small hole in the top that relieves the suction to get them back off. I'm not really sure how much room you need for a good fit. Crane cams recommends .030 clearance for the bottom of the cap. I would also not grind them down to make them fit because you may cause the oil suction to not work correctly. There is quite a bit of info on the net about them too. just google lash caps and see what you get. You could also get a custom set of pushrods to make up the distance.

If you have std retainers with only .100 between the tip and retainer...you need the retainers that will work with lash caps. If you are correcting the geometry, I would make sure the pushrods you're using are the right length first. Then, if needed, mill the pedestal monuts on the heads.

The split locks should have a land in the top for the lash cap to fit into. MP used to sell some for exactly this purpose. Crane probably has them as well.

If it's any consolation they do make a valve keeper/lock that has a lash cap built into them as part of the keeper. Now there not cheap but better than anything that I've seen and what we use on the race heads.

-
Back