Late 80's /6 swap to 73

-

BlueMoose

Reaction score
My slant is tired, and I think it may need a headgasket. So rather than fix it I'm hoping to do a quick junkyard swap.

The only one in town is from a late 80's truck. I know these have the hydro lifters, and probably all around worse than earlier motors. But will it bolt on to my 73 Dart with much trouble?

I'm not going for performance. I just need a good daily driver for the summer. Hoping theres enough slanters here who know about these :)

from my experience.. of going thru 3, 225's and 1 170.. a six is a six and you shouldnt have any issues.

Cerwin

Oh i didnt register the whole truck thing.. oops.

You will need to swap the oil pan, oil pump pickup, and the motor mounts from your 73 for sure. If the truck dipstick is in the oil pan, you will have to swap the dipstick and tube from your 73. Fortunately, the boss for the dipstick tube is in the side of the truck block, all you have to do is drill it out to fit the tube. Not real sure if the cast crank slants were externally balanced or not. Find out if the truck was hooked to a 727 or a 9 series (904,993,999) tranny. If it was a 727, you will need a converter and flex plate from an 80's /6 car. If it was a 9 series, use what is on the truck motor. Hope this helps.

its kinda funny a slant and some of the smaller mopar engines(318) you can get a whole new engine then it probably costs for a headgasket seeing you can get a slant for free and most slant enthusists will definatly take em off your hand. its pretty straight forward swap, im trying to think of anything specific. Does it have any of the computer bs on the engine, if it does just swap it to a holley carb 1920 is best, oil pan and dipsitck is needed, oops someone already go that :p

Im doing this right now in a 72 scamp. The motor we got was out of a 83 truck so it doesn't have the hole in the block for the dipstick tube :cussing: I decided that instead of drilling a hole in the block Im just going to take the car pan and weld in the section out of the truck pan with the dipstick tube.

-
Back