LATER FACTORY CAST IRON EXHAUST MANIFOLD SWAP

-

A/MP

Reaction score
I don't like the fit of inside chassis headers. I usually modify fenderwell headers to bend 90*(+/-) to turn under the chassis but this time I'm thinking about a cast iron manifold. I have in my shop a 273/2V ready for rebuild. Probably around 300HP with 4 bbl, pistons, cam and bowl port on the heads. Eyeballed a pair of 340HP manifolds and they're too big and then there's routing the exhaust pipe on the drivers side. Anyone try a reverse swap, like for turbo set up, as a solution. 1965 Dart 2dr. Thanks

Have you ever looked at the Dakota truck exhaust manifold?
The are very efficient and inexpensive. They might have the closer
fit you are looking for. I have angle milled them before for some applications.

I do not remember the years anymore that I utilized in my Arrow/Colt small
block swaps.

early dakota 5.2 91~92/3 is the best fitting for the pass side. you can use up to 96~97 5.9 but it dumps close to the firewall. it'll work tho if that's not a concern to you.

the driver's side in infinitely more complicated. and if you have a 4spd go on ahead and double that. the only manifold that really fits is the 64~66 V8 unit that chokes down like a dominatrix getting paid overtime. the later 340 can be made to work, but you'll wind up with something that looks like picasso's cubist period and a exhaust guy that's super mad at you.

i've seen photos of a 99~01 durango driver's side that's been ground on a little for steering shaft clearance and the upper column cut back for clearance. not confidence inspiring considering if the motor moves it's going di-rect-ly into your steering.

word on the street is that a mid 90's van DS angle milled will fit, but i don't have a confirmation on that.

spitfire's will work with a 4spd, but will require a decent amount of work (unless that design has been considerably altered in the last 10-ish years).

if you have an automatic sanderson DD9's would be my choice.

-
Back