latest problem

-

RobbAdams

Reaction score
:cussing: Seems like whenever I fix something it brings out another problem.

I had to replace my transmission since reverse and third were shot. Got the tranny in yesterday, had to go back today to get it adjusted as the kickdown was not working.

Now when I press down the accelerator far enough for the kick down, when the motor revs up there the engine cuts right out? Kind of like when I hit the govoner once on my old Sunfire.

Any guesses as to what this could be?

Robb

To me it kind of sounds like the accelerator pump on the carb needs to move to a different setting. I had similar problem, and thats what fixed it for me. Best of luck.

Maybe your fuel filter is diry, sounds like you are starving for fuel at wide open throttle. Could be some dirt in the tank is making it's way into the filter.

I had a similar problem with my 65 Barracuda as I was trying to maximize my full-throttle upshift speed to around 4000-4500 RPM. I started playing with it a long time ago so I don't remember all of the details but I ended up with an overadjustment which caused weird 2-3 and 3-2 shifts. With my 1bbl Carter BBS, it seemed like I had a fuel starvation problem at high RPMs. With the AFB (and an electric fuel pump), I still had an occasional loss in power when I mashed the gas pedal but I would also find that my transmission would kickdown into 2nd gear at 70+ mph.

As I was attributing this behaviour to internal leaks, I figured this problem would go away when I got around to rebuilding the transmission. However, on a whim one day, I decided to readjust my transmission linkage. With a few turns, the problem disappeared without any real impact on my upshift or kickdown speeds.

Double check that everything looks properly reinstalled and back in its original position. You might need to make some adjustments to your transmission's throttle linkage. A service manual is what you need to properly make those adjustments. BTW, I can't seem to find the posting that specifies what kind of car you have.

Had a quick look at the accelerator pump, and it is currently on the midle hole, what one would you suggest to get more Pump? I am going to try this first. However the too low float thing does sound like a winner as well. When I re-built my carbh the float was quite a bit higher than the reccomended setting, so i will mess with that next.

Robb

-
Back