LCA pivot wiggles

-

rich006

Learning as I go
Reaction score
Rebuilding my front suspension--here's the lower control arm. Should it wiggle like this?

They loosen up like that over time. What you can do is put it in a vice and tighten it up so the wiggle is gone but make sure it still pivots. Then weld a strap connecting the two outer halves together to get rid of the slop. You can also run a piece of sheet metal across the whole bottom or buy those stiffening plates they sell. Hope this makes sense. I believe Jim Lusk has a video of this on youtube.

Mopowers beat me to it. No, it shouldn't wiggle like that, and the video by Jim Lusk is exactly what you need to do in order to fix it. In addition to the stiffening plates on the bottom I also add a "strap" across the ends, to control the LCA right where the pivot is. Just make sure it's out of the way of the lever on the pivot. Hopefully you're already planning on installing new LCA bushings as well.

IMG_1297.jpg

From a different angle. Also shows the gusset I add to the pivot tubes in the K member.

IMG_2790_zpsj1t3mbyg.jpg

Mopowers beat me to it. No, it shouldn't wiggle like that, and the video by Jim Lusk is exactly what you need to do in order to fix it. In addition to the stiffening plates on the bottom I also add a "strap" across the ends, to control the LCA right where the pivot is. Just make sure it's out of the way of the lever on the pivot. Hopefully you're already planning on installing new LCA bushings as well.

View attachment 1714954353

From a different angle. Also shows the gusset I add to the pivot tubes in the K member.

IMG_2790_zpsj1t3mbyg.jpg
Hey blu that looks like a Delrin bushing you got there

Related question: I was thinking of adding a sway bar later, but I see now that my LCA's don't have the sway bar bracket. Do I have any options other than (1) fabricate and weld on a bracket or (2) buy new LCA's?

Just answered my own question by calling PST...their 1973+ sway bar comes with an angle bracket that bolts onto your LCA. You just have to drill a couple of holes.

You got it. Most of the aftermarket sway bars come with some kind of provision to add a tab. Hotchkis sells a tab that welds on that looks a lot like the stock tabs, if you plan to add a seat bar later it might be worth welding a set of tabs on now in the stock 73+ location. Take care of it all at once while you've got the LCA's off the car- stiffening plates, sway bar tabs, LCA bushings.

-
Back