leaky 904 and woreout old man

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have never considered an type of stop leak product for an auto, ( front seal leaky) but not on my financial plate to have it pulled nor this 70 yr old to pull it either on the dirt.
Is there a good product that can remedy this leak and not do any damage to the trans??
95000 mi 904 behind slant. Trans shifts fine, no rebuild desired anytime,

I have never considered an type of stop leak product for an auto, ( front seal leaky) but not on my financial plate to have it pulled nor this 70 yr old to pull it either on the dirt.
Is there a good product that can remedy this leak and not do any damage to the trans??
95000 mi 904 behind slant. Trans shifts fine, no rebuild desired anytime,

Not really, as any stop leak type product affects ALL the rubber in the trans, and not just the front seal.
Stop leak swells and softens the rubber by design, and so swells and softens all the piston seals as well.
It might stop the front seal leak for awhile, but it will make it where the entire trans needs all new rubber parts a lot sooner.

I don't think so. I haven't tried them all. I will say K&W Trans-X didn't even slow down my front seal leak.

I had a ford torino that I bought in Florida brought it back to Ohio, had it serviced in Fla so it would make the drive back found out it had no antifreeze and froze broke the block. Put in some block sealer and that fixed the crack in the block. long story short the trans started leaking and slipping so I put a couple oz's of brake fluid in the trans and it started shifting great stopped slipping and stopped leaking. I have used brake fluid in power steering to stop leaks, everything starts leaking in the cold winter when you don't want to work on them, seals are old and get hard and leak brake fluid softens them up but to much can turn them to mush so you are on your own on this one, it has saved my *** more than once.

I daily drive my Aspen, and the trans leaks like a sumbitch. Lucas Transmission Conditioner actually slowed the leaks and improved shift quality. I haven't tried their stop leak yet, but I am impressed with the Conditioner for sure.

I little bit of brake fluid will swell and soften up the seals. Don't use much as it will affect all of the seals in the transmission.

I daily drive my Aspen, and the trans leaks like a sumbitch. Lucas Transmission Conditioner actually slowed the leaks and improved shift quality. I haven't tried their stop leak yet, but I am impressed with the Conditioner for sure.
Ha! Car I am referring to is 79 Volare, !!!! your's cousin!! Its the first F body I ever had. I really like the car, how it drives, its profile, but I have never liked any plastic grills though!!!

-
Back