LED bulbs

-

dartfreak75

Restore it, Dont part it!
Reaction score
Im considering using led bulbs for stuff like the dome , trunk , map , maybe even the brake and park lights. Do led bulbs draw less power from the battery? I know in our homes they are supposed to save on our power bill so does that mean they will save on our battery as well? Will old school wiring handle the led bulbs without pulsing?

Yes, they use less juice. I only did LED for my front park and rear brake and backup. Brighter. They worked without new LED flashers. They did not work with the LED flashers.

I put them in my two dome lights in my 69 cuda fast back. They are blindingly bright. Definitely a change from the stock bulbs.

They draw considerably less current and are therefore good for older wiring! The only issue is turn or emergency flashers may not like them as they need the current to make them flash. So LEDs can cause them not to flash or flash very slowly. But if you use them for taillights or non-flashing lights, they work great. I have them in my 72 Demon.

Thanks I may get some then. Save a little bit of juice on my battery.

They draw considerably less current and are therefore good for older wiring! The only issue is turn or emergency flashers may not like them as they need the current to make them flash. So LEDs can cause them not to flash or flash very slowly. But if you use them for taillights or non-flashing lights, they work great. I have them in my 72 Demon.
Yea thats what I'm wanting to to save on my wiring and fuses and hopefully concerve my battery too

Not necessarily a simple bulb swap. I'll let the elec gurus chime in.
Do the crackedback headlight relay upgrade for starters.

I put them only in my tail lights on the exterior, because that is where I wanted the brightness. They are much brighter. I left the regular bulbs in the front turn signals so they would pull enough current to run the stock flasher. I didn’t really care about the brightness of the front turn signals or park lights. The rear is where I wanted the brightness for safety.

What we do with our time if we were not constantly creating problems to solve by changing stuff that works?

I would really like to see Kevin get his car up runnin and drivin before he creates a whole nuther can of worms. lol

Not necessarily a simple bulb swap. I'll let the elec gurus chime in.
Do the crackedback headlight relay upgrade for starters.
I didnt mean for the headlights and signals i was more curious about the interior lights dome light map light etc. I do plan on doing the crack back headlight harness eventually. Its on the list.

I didnt mean for the headlights and signals i was more curious about the interior lights dome light map light etc. I do plan on doing the crack back headlight harness eventually. Its on the list.

I put them in my instrument cluster, but that's just TWO bulbs and one circuit. lol

I put them in my instrument cluster, but that's just TWO bulbs and one circuit. lol
I got a bunch of bulbs in my cluster out. And my dome light went out today. Lol I was gonna order some 1004 bulbs but then I saw they offered them in led I figured I'd ask.

I got a bunch of bulbs in my cluster out. And my dome light went out today. Lol I was gonna order some 1004 bulbs but then I saw they offered them in led I figured I'd ask.

Now the cluster bulbs I mean are only the ones that illuminate the dash itself. none of the "function" lights.

Yes, they use less juice. I only did LED for my front park and rear brake and backup. Brighter. They worked without new LED flashers. They did not work with the LED flashers.
I did the same bulb replacement as you. Mine would not work with the stock flasher, and would not work initially with the electronic LED flasher. I had to reverse the leads going to the flasher plug, they all work fine now. It has to with polarity being correct for the LED's. I found that information in another thread here.

LEDs are brighter, use less power, and have a much longer life expectancy than OEM incandescent bulbs. If you can get through the polarity dependence and flash rate, whats not to like?

I have been buying led bulbs off Amazon. I look for the ones with the best feedback at a reasonable price. I don’t buy the really expensive ones, because I am a cheapskate. I have had some number of infant mortality, but it seems like that if they work for a week, then they are good long term.

-
Back