LEDG vs Halogen Incandescent headlights

-
I looked into LED h'lights. There was such a dizzying array to chose from...& some quite expensive. I went with reliable, easy to fit halogens.

If I had to night drive my GTS a lot I would do one of these and the relay upgrade (which I do have). This is probably as good as it gets for a drop in, beyond stock replacement upgrade for those looking for increased night vision with out the guilt of being a ricer mod man.

Hella 002395301 Hella Vision Plus Conversion Headlights | Summit Racing

J.W. Speaker 557661 J. W. Speaker Model 8700 EVO 2 Classic LED Headlights | Summit Racing

J.W. Speaker 554961 J. W. Speaker 8700 Evo 2 DOT-Compliant Dual Burn LED Headlights | Summit Racing

J.W. Speaker 554941 J. W. Speaker 8700 Evo 2 DOT-Compliant Dual Burn LED Headlights | Summit Racing

Since I'm lucky to even get to drive in the daytime, these are very low on the radar for now...

I run the Hella Vision Plus with the relay upgrade. I really like them. Made a big difference over the sealed beams.

20190731_191119.jpg

50 years ago I ran aircraft landing lights in place of the highbeams on my '65 Kenworth.

Got stopped by the WI State Patrol for my speed...cop asked me if those were aircraft lights. "Yep"... I run the UP of Michigan every week and need them to see the deer.

OK was the reply.

I think Ford has a recall out on F150 headlights. Seems the wiring was wrong on some trucks allowing all four lights to blind oncoming drivers.

Last edited:
…were the last worthy sealed beams on the market when they were made in America. Now they're very poorly made in China, with severely lousy output (dim, blotchy, useless) and very fragile glass that breaks if you stare hard at it.

Well just don't STARE at it Dan. What's wrong with you? lol

oh man, the headlights now a days.....f'n horrible. I cant believe that carmakers are allowed to put 747 landing lights on stock vehicles. I am appalled that people are allowed to run this stuff especially in the city. For chrissakes there is enough ambiant light to run with just regular f'n lights in the city. Country life is different. I adjust my side mirror at stop lights to shine into drivers eyes. I do it right in front of him/her. I do not care for your bad manners and oblivious nature.

So.....properly adjust incandescent please. and if you have a bunch of **** on a regular basis in the back of your truck making it a gasser......f'n do it right and have your low beams wwaaaaay down.

hit a nerve on this one.....
Let's not knock my 747, please. I spent 20+ years building them. FYI, we have a jig in the factory to make sure they're properly aligned for take off's, and more importantly, for landing at 150 knots. If you see my lights coming at you, something is terribly wrong.....

…were the last worthy sealed beams on the market when they were made in America. Now they're very poorly made in China, with severely lousy output (dim, blotchy, useless) and very fragile glass that breaks if you stare hard at it.
Help us out, Dan. Your advice years ago made my son's first vehicle, a W150 with a 6" lift kit, safe for him to drive without offending other drivers or the Popo's. You've earned my respect, kinda like a furry Bill Nye.

I looked into LED h'lights. There was such a dizzying array to chose from...& some quite expensive. I went with reliable, easy to fit halogens.
That is like going to the bikini contest to look at chicks....then settling for the fat clerk at the Wal Mart store.

50 years ago I ran aircraft landing lights in place of the highbeams on my '65 Kenworth.

Got stopped by the WI State Patrol for my speed...cop asked me if those were aircraft lights. "Yep"... I run the UP of Michigan every week and need them to see the deer.

OK was the reply.

I think Ford has a recall out on F150 headlights. Seems the wiring was wrong on some trucks allowing all four lights to blind oncoming drivers.
still got a box of them lights, never could get them to work, hooked them up and turned them on and alternator stalled out the engine!! all the big fast trucks run them back then and always wanted to!

Last edited:
-
Back