Let’s see those 255 60 15 rears!!!

-

Slantsix64

Reaction score
Come on guys let me see those meats!!!!! I know a couple guys running 255 60 15 on a 15x7 with 4 3/8 back space. Tight but it works!!

001.jpg

052.JPG

20160520_184118.jpg

B0D4CF30-F14A-4BBC-8A58-3752B880758B.jpeg
A friend just put these mt street tires on ram charger rims and says they fit fine. He’ll be mad I shared the picture as the car isn’t sitting level right now. Lol

This picture is a comparison view.

Left side is a 15" X 7" (4 1/4" back space? (Wheel Vintiques Rallye)) wearing a 235/70R15 tire.

Right side is a 14" X 5 1/2" (factory Rallye) wearing a 215/75R14 tire.

IMG_5127 Cropped (DLH-P).jpg

I plan to go with 245/60R15 tires (either Cooper Cobra Radial G/Ts or Mastercraft Avenger G/Ts) this spring.

IDK how its done...post up a 8.75 A rear on a 65 with a 255 tire. Then you'll have to explain the rim offset and the stock spring location. Im all ears.....Stupid fender overhangs! :BangHead:

Can one of yall please post the 255 60 15 on the 15x7 close up from behind so I can see how much room there is to the spring? Thank you.

Rob, we only got 12.5" (317mm) from inner fenderwell to the inner lip of the fender at its lowest/widest point right at the trim. 255mm is a 10" tire...we got 1" of wiggle room on each side, hardly enough to change the tire once we got it installed let alone having clearance when its 'up in the well' under acceleration or going over a bump....I'm all ears before buying the largest tires I can for a 15X6 4 3/8 backspace rim. I'm actually more interested in a taller tire like a 70/75 series to fill the wells and give me a slight rake.

Rob, we only got 12.5" (317mm) from inner fenderwell to the inner lip of the fender at its lowest/widest point right at the trim. 255mm is a 10" tire...we got 1" of wiggle room on each side, hardly enough to change the tire once we got it installed let alone having clearance when its 'up in the well' under acceleration or going over a bump....I'm all ears before buying the largest tires I can for a 15X6 4 3/8 backspace rim. I'm actually more interested in a taller tire like a 70/75 series to fill the wells and give me a slight rake.

I asked because I narrowed my Ford 9" a tick narrow at 51 1/8" so I know I'll be close there.

Unless you tub the inners, that seems to be our choke point. IIRC they are even outboard of the leafs. Even an inch added to the inners would get you in to the leafs.

Is that on an early A?

All you need is about 1" more overall than the section width of the tire to make it work, a 1/2" on each side is enough to keep the tires from rubbing if your suspension isn't super soft. Toolmanmike clearly makes the 255's work on his '70, if I recall correctly his springs are still in the stock locations too so I doubt he has much more clearance than I do on my '71, which would mean about 11" from spring to quarter lip.

IDK how its done...post up a 8.75 A rear on a 65 with a 255 tire. Then you'll have to explain the rim offset and the stock spring location. Im all ears.....Stupid fender overhangs! :BangHead:

My buddy runs a stock abody small bolt 8 3/4 in his early dart with 255s 4 3/8 back space. On a 15x7 Tight but it works. I’m also going to have the same set up just waiting on rims.

My buddy runs a stock abody small bolt 8 3/4 in his early dart with 255s 4 3/8 back space. On a 15x7 Tight but it works. I’m also going to have the same set up just waiting on rims.

Actually that makes a lot of sense, although I bet those tires are real close to the springs with that backspace on a SBP rear. The distance from the wheel mount to the springs should be the same as any A-body as long as you're comparing SBP to SBP or BBP to BBP with the A-body 8 3/4 rear.

On a BBP A-body 8 3/4 with stock spring locations it's about 6" from the wheel mount back to the spring. So with a 255 being about 10" at the section, that's 1" of tire overhanging the rim. Plus a 1/2" of clearance, for about 4.5" of backspace. You can run the spring clearance tighter than a 1/2" though, and I know that people have talked about using 4.75" as the backspace for 15x7's on BBP 8 3/4's. And that would pretty much translate to 4 3/8" for a SBP rear. That makes it tight on the springs for sure, but it's always better to be a little tighter to the springs than the quarters. You can always run a thin spacer if you end up too tight to the springs, the only things you can do if you're too tight to the quarters involve bodywork.

-
Back