Lift Headliner for Shoulder Belts

-

JD Erisman

Reaction score
i know the three point/should belt topic has been discussed to death and I’ve searched for the answer to my question but didn’t find it. I have a ‘67 Barracuda notchback that I’m installing shoulder belts in. I feel a “hump” a few inches forward of the coat hook but there is definitely not a bolt here in it so I don’t know if this is where the factory would have installed the optional belt anchor or not. Either way, I’m going to need to put some type of plate with a threaded hole/nut in that area but I would rather lift the headliner to do all this work instead of cutting it and hoping I don’t cut too much or more than can be covered by the shoulder belt sash. So, can the headliner be pulled up to reveal enough area for me to work without hacking it to pieces? The headliner is original and in too nice of condition to start cutting it up and make a mistake. Also, how do I remove that black, roughly one-inch wide, trim strip that runs the length of the headliner where the headliner ends above the door? I’ve got the factory service manual and the Barracuda supplement but cannot find my answer. Thanks for any help.

On my Dart you need to remove the A-pillar plastic and there should be a screw at the front underneath for the long metal strip which the rest is held on by metal clips.

I just went through buying some 3 point seat belts for my Dart only to find out they did not work in that the upper attaching point is too far back which left the seat belt running across my neck!!! No Good that way. The upper part really needs a 8 to 10 inch piece of belt to drop the triangulation point down to where it should be.

For 68 model the factory moved the coat hook rearward a few inches and put the shoulder belt anchor where the coat hook was, right above where side glasses meet. Your coat hook sits on a bump out in the roof structure. To flatten that bump out with a hammer is dang near impossible. You can make it disappear with a hole saw. A plate of some size with a 7/16 fine thread nut welded on will need to enter though one of the larger openings so more headliner to drop.
I did all this while replacing the headliner in my 67. Don't have coat hooks now.
My homemade plate is attached with 1/4 inch steel pop rivets. I borrowed pneumatic riveter from local body shop. And after all that I never did install the shoulder belts. My bucket seats don't have latches on the back hinges so in the right kind of collision the shoulder belt might do more harm than good. Only a crash test dummy knows for sure.

This us my 67 notch.
15646648043892683117526212021848.jpg

I don't recall did I use 3/4 or 1 inch hole saw through the hole where the sheet metal screw was but what was left of the bump out was easy enough to flatten. A large flat washer and bolt held my nut plate in place while I drilled holes for my pop rivets.

i know the three point/should belt topic has been discussed to death and I’ve searched for the answer to my question but didn’t find it. I have a ‘67 Barracuda notchback that I’m installing shoulder belts in. I feel a “hump” a few inches forward of the coat hook but there is definitely not a bolt here in it so I don’t know if this is where the factory would have installed the optional belt anchor or not. Either way, I’m going to need to put some type of plate with a threaded hole/nut in that area but I would rather lift the headliner to do all this work instead of cutting it and hoping I don’t cut too much or more than can be covered by the shoulder belt sash. So, can the headliner be pulled up to reveal enough area for me to work without hacking it to pieces? The headliner is original and in too nice of condition to start cutting it up and make a mistake. Also, how do I remove that black, roughly one-inch wide, trim strip that runs the length of the headliner where the headliner ends above the door? I’ve got the factory service manual and the Barracuda supplement but cannot find my answer. Thanks for any help.
Hi, My 68 Notch has factory shoulder belts, thought maybe this pic may help.

68 Cuda shoulder belt hard point.jpg

-
Back