lifters

-

scampy72

Reaction score
hey guys rebuilding a 440 im planning on using the stock everything. just putting it back together on the cheap and getting it running. my question is if im using the same cam can i reuse the lifters?

i was told once that if they do not go back in the same cylinder that they came out of they might collapse. is this true? i got the engine taken apart already and the lifters were not labelled so i want to make sure first.

thanks
marc

It's not that the lifters will collapse (hydraulic failure), but they can definitely wear incorrectly and fail structurally. There are some folks on here who've committed such a sin and had no ill effects ( ;) ), but lifters aren't that expensive, and it's just as well to buy a new set.

Technically you can re-use lifters but that usually only if you use them with the same cam. But as txstang said already they really aren't that expensive, you may as well just get some new ones.

Not just same cam, but the same lobe of the cam that they ran on before.
I have always heard that if you run breakin oil at first you have a much better chance of getting away with it. (But if that goes wrong it'll wipe out the cam)

not just same cam, but the same lobe of the cam that they ran on before.
I have always heard that if you run breakin oil at first you have a much better chance of getting away with it. (but if that goes wrong it'll wipe out the cam)
---------------replace them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!------------

-
Back