Lights Out

-

6pk2goDemon

Mopar Mod
Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Can someone explain how to test why my backup lights stopped working? All other lights are working fine........

It's a 72 Demon console shift auto

Morning C :D Have you checked your NSS(Neutral safety switch)?Check the ground at the starter relay,it might just need to be cleaned,wiggled LOL

Till a more knowleagable poster steps up first thing I would check is the nuetral safety switch.With the key on when in neutral the brown is a ground to the starter relay and I believe there are a hot in and out on the outside posts for the reverse lights. Sounds like a bad switch.

The NSS switch is working properly, as the car won't start in any gear, but N and P. If I'm understanding correctly, that one switch controls both things?

Headed out to the garage now, to check the ground on the starter relay. Electrical problems are such a PITA for me.......:scratch:

Thanks for your help petty and DD. I'll let you know what I find :thumbup:

The NSS switch is working properly, as the car won't start in any gear, but N and P. If I'm understanding correctly, that one switch controls both things?

Headed out to the garage now, to check the ground on the starter relay. Electrical problems are such a PITA for me.......:scratch:

Thanks for your help petty and DD. I'll let you know what I find :thumbup:

Yes the 3 prong switch works both. its under the car on the linkage side of the trans. is yours a man. or auto?.

I thought the switch attached to the shifter inside the console controls the back-up lights on the console-shift cars? Its just a 2 wire switch. Try wiggling the shifter up and down between "R" and "D" and "P". Could just be a dirty switch contacts.

If the dome light is working and you don't have 12V at the bulb, chances are the tranny switch is bad. They wear out after 40 some years. Even on a Mopar.

It's a floor shifted auto.

The ground on the starter relay is clean/tight and grounded when tested.

There is no power on either of the outside posts of the NSS? Does that mean I need to trace backwards thru the harness?

Hi Val, thx for your input. The early console cars had the switch attached to the shifter. I think around 69 or 70 it moved down to the tranny.

You're on the right track. Center pin of the NSS grounds the starter relay, not involved with this problem, is a separate switch within the NSS switch housing.

The backup light switch is the two center pins. One of 'em gets power / key on, the other contact goes to your lights.

You should be able to remove the switch connector, jumper across the two outer pins and turn the key to "run" and get reverse lamps.

If not, make sure you have power to the switch, if not check the fuse and bulkhead connector and the NSS connector itself.

IF you have power at the NSS, and jumpering it does not give you lights, the lights power goes back up through the bulkhead (check it) and down to the left kick panel with the connector to the rest of the tail/ stop lights, check for power there

Otherwise go back and check for power at the backup light sockets, clean, replace bulbs, etc.

It's a floor shifted auto.

The ground on the starter relay is clean/tight and grounded when tested.

There is no power on either of the outside posts of the NSS? Does that mean I need to trace backwards thru the harness?

Hi Val, thx for your input. The early console cars had the switch attached to the shifter. I think around 69 or 70 it moved down to the tranny.

You typed as I did. If no power to the NSS with key in run, check your bulkhead connector and check for power at the fuses.

NOTE. When you check for power WITH A PROBLEM such as this, you need to use a BIG HEAVY test lamp, such as a stop/ tail bulb, in fact I have an "ugly" one made from an old stop/ tail socket so that I can twist the two wires together and cause BOTH stop and tail to light.

???WHY??? you ask?

This is because if you have a loose connection in the path ---ignition switch--fuse box--through the fuse--through the bulkhead--to the NSS connector, ANY loose / corroded connection in that path.........

Checking power with a wimby little lest lamp OR ESPECIALLY a meter, might show "good" because those devices do not LOAD a circuit very much.

But if you DO have a corroded connector, using the "big heavy" test lamp with "burn through" the corrosive connection and show up as a bad connection.

grumpus :wave: Yes, the dome light works, but I don't understand what you mean? If the dome light is working, don't I already have 12volt at the bulb? :scratch:

Hey C. The dome light and the back up lights are on the same circuit. If the dome works the fuse is good and the problem is in the tranny switch.

Ok, I'll admit it.........owner :error:

After reading all of your ideas and finding no power at the outside posts of the NSS, traced the wires backwards and found the 2 wires were plugged into the wrong bulkhead connector. Obviously, I was mistaken thinking the lights worked #-o

Thx to all of you for your help!!!!!!!!!!! ;) :salut:

Lights ON

Ok, I'll admit it.........owner :error:

After reading all of your ideas and finding no power at the outside posts of the NSS, traced the wires backwards and found the 2 wires were plugged into the wrong bulkhead connector. Obviously, I was mistaken thinking the lights worked #-o

Thx to all of you for your help!!!!!!!!!!! ;) :salut:

Lights ON

What do you have for wiring diagrams, and what terminals are they hooked to?

You'll only have power at one of the two

What do you have for wiring diagrams, and what terminals are they hooked to?

You'll only have power at one of the two

Actually, used the wiring diagram that DD posted above. To be really honest, the NSS harness was purchased new from Evans about 3 years ago. Was instructed by Evans to plug the 2 extra wires into the blank spaces in the bulkhead for the wipers :wack:. That never did make any sense until trying to get the backup lights working over the last few days.

Don't get me started on the Evans harnesses that were purchased :violent1: :banghead: :banghead: :violent1:

This is the 3rd problem found with his info or harnesses on my car. You can check one of my older threads for the worst one :angry5: :angry5:. I'll post it for you, if you can't find it...........

I prefer to keep trash to myself most of the time, but..........just fixed a charging problem too w/ his engine harness. The green field wire for the alternator wasn't crimped. I don't even know why it worked at all? Got lucky and kinda found that problem by accident :D

OK well if you feel like chasing it further, we can walk you through it.

It's fixed now 67Dart273.....thank you very much for your help. All the posts from you guys made the "thinking cap" work :smile:

I know electrical is easy for you, but not yet for meeeee......getting a little easier though :tongue3: :thumbup:

-
Back