Linkage set up on 1974 Plymouth duster with 318 automatic

-

gnagrant

Reaction score
I just recently purchased a 1974 Plymouth duster with a 318 automatic. I purchased a Holley four barrel and installed it on the car. I am concerned about the existing linkage and don’t want to damage my transmission driving it. The Short distance I drove it to test the carburetor, I noticed the car hesitated shifting from 2nd to 3rd, and seem to downshift into second while coasting to a stop. (Like pulling the gearshift leverdown to second). Any advice on linkage set up would be appreciated.

IMG_1473.jpeg

The Chrysler linkage parts I purchased at the same time from Holley. I got the part numbers from the tech.. I think the arm itself might be for a two barrel. I’m sure not having much luck finding a Longer arm that might be a better fit

the back edge of the slot on the kickdown rod should be touching your throttle cable pin. it looks as though yours is at the front edge?

IMG_7665.jpeg

IMG_7666.jpeg

4 barrel throttle cable brackets can be bought at online vendors. Here's one from Mancini Racing

Screenshot 2024-09-24 at 10.10.34 AM.png

For the correct 4 barrel upper kick down rod, you'll need to find a member who has one for sale. You can buy reproductions but you have to buy all 3 pieces in the set unfortunately.
34014B3P-L.jpg

Your kickdown rod needs to be extended ~1 1/2" to get you in the proper adjustment range. Either fab a new one or cut and lengthen your existing one.
If you don't have a welder, the easiest way would be to cut the rod in the middle and thread it, then use a long coupling nut to rejoin the two halves, which would also give you an additional place to adjust the linkage. Then secure it with a jam nut.
1727187954141.png

BTW, you do have the correct carb linkage adapter on there, right? I can't tell from your pics...

Last edited:
Yep, the stud needs to be at the back of the slot and not the front. You need to extend the rod that amount but you do need someway to adjust and fine tune. The slotted end that j.anderson pictured would work as long as your kickdown rod is the right diameter for rethreading. Here is a thread with good info, photos and part numbers. 2-Barrel to 4-Barrel Conversion

kickdown6.jpg

Here is a picture of the old carb and linkage before I took it off

View attachment 1716307349
Ouch. That's a mile off as well. I'm surprised your transmission still works. Let me post up some more photos of how it should look. Like mentioned. The pin on the carb linkage should be at the back of the slot. The spring should be positioned to pull the rod against the pin at all times. A couple photos don't have adjustable slotted rods but there are adjustments on the linkage.

kickdown linkage2.jpg

mopar kickdown linkage2.JPG

Mopar kickdown linkage.jpeg

kickdown5.JPG

kickdown4.jpg

kickdown2.jpg

I’m guessing they put that nut and bolt on there to keep the kickdown moving at the same time as the throttle cable. I deliberately haven’t driven the car much because of my concerns.

I’m guessing they put that nut and bolt on there to keep the kickdown moving at the same time as the throttle cable. I deliberately haven’t driven the car much because of my concerns.
That's probably what saved it.

Don't forget to install the correct short throttle pressure lever on the throttle /shifter shaft where it sticks out of the case on the driver's side.

-
Back