Lock picking

-

Cope

Fusing with fire
Reaction score
I have issues sleeping so most nights im awake on here or watching you tube.

I watch all kinds of videos. Some how this guy "The lock picking Lawyer" showed up and I watched a video of his.
He has a very relaxing voice and over the last few years i have watched a lot of his videos.

Well im gonna do it. I orderd a pic set and bought a few locks. Im very much looking forward to it. Not only is it some i can do laying in bed with the lights off but it is much more.

I am drawn to the mechanical aspect and the puzzle aspect. Before you attack the lock you should be able to understand it from the inside, with out ever having seen it. All you get is poking around.

It reminds me of when i run into a difficult bolt. I will close my eyes and do it all by feal. That is something i have done for my entire life and it just works for me.

The idea of figuring out the mechanical workings of a lock and not being able to see them is very interesting to me.

Anyone here pic locks?

Enjoy!

Lock picking isn't hard, you just have to be patient. I was taught by an old time locksmith 40 years ago. The only problem in Texas is that picks are considered a burglary tool unless you are a licensed locksmith.

In California anything is a burgler tool.

As long as im not "using it in a felonious manner" its legal in Ca.

Altho most likely they will jist sit on my night stand. I dont turn on lights at night beacuse one, it wakes up my lady and two, then im officially awake. So something i can do with my hands in the dark is perfect.

And for some strange reason i feel drawn to it. I want to do it. I want to be good at it. If you can understand such stupidity.

Lock picking isn't hard, you just have to be patient. I was taught by an old time locksmith 40 years ago. The only problem in Texas is that picks are considered a burglary tool unless you are a licensed locksmith.

I'm sure if you were stopped for some reason pretty much anywhere that might be a "flag."

I watched a buddy of mine pick the dead bolt on his front door on his bday after the bar. Took prob about a half hour but damn was I impressed. He learned the skills driving tow trucks here and there.

never tried it, but in case i ever need to, one of my 12 gauges has a breach barrel on it

stir.gif

...and you couldn't think of something to do with your hands in the dark with your lady?
Sorry, couldn't resist.

Waaaay back in my military days I had a guy in my platoon that was a locksmith in his civilian life. I found out when we arrived for work at an on-base warehouse that was locked. I told everyone to "take 5" while I found someone who could let us in. The next thing I knew he said, "Sarge, it's unlocked now."

What if its on the other side of a locked door?

He also dose a lot of "bypass" videos. Meaning you dont "defeat" the lock you bypass it.

Those are interesting and good to stick in the ole brain bucket.

One of him bypassing the police car rifle lock is frightening to say the least.

...and you couldn't think of something to do with your hands in the dark with your lady?
Sorry, couldn't resist.
."

Oof, I walked into that one.

I can think of LOTS of things.. problem is she has a hard time falling asleep so if i wake her up for the best fifteen minutes of her life she will be awake for the next hour or more. Then she is grumpy and i dont need that.....

I would think one that old would be easy?

Lets see what i can find?

Not as old as yours but i bet the cylinder is the same.

Cool old lock. If you can pick it, it can almost certainly be re keyed after you get it open.

Very nice!

Last edited:

Cool old lock. If you can pick it, it can almost certainly be re keyed after you get it open.

Very nice!

It's pretty big and heavy (solid brass/bronze). Locks like it would have a key with notches on both sides (edges)
DSC08237.JPG

Last edited:

Very nice!

I think mine is the Great, Great Grand daddy of the one you posted?? See the brass pins in the body?

DSC08238.JPG

Oh,i agree. The design of the keyway dates it to a point tho. If it was old old, it would have the key in the front.

That is a cylinder style, "modern" key type and i dont think they had great anti pic tech figured out back then.

But no matter what, it is super cool.

I bet if you got it open, then drove out the hinge pin, the entire bottom plate falls out with the cylinder.

Just my thoughts tho.

Edit- now i see the two lower pins. But i bet when locked it may not dissemble as a design.

I've picked a few locks in my life but have never had to pick two sides at once while trying to turn the cylinder at the same time?? Here's a pic I found on the internet, you can see that the key has a hump running down the middle and notches on both sides. The keyhole on my lock is shaped for a key that has a hump running down both sides (down the center line).
Vintage Antique Sargent brass Padlock lock old key | #430279136

Yes.

It will also open most car doors and ignition locks.

What you can do, If you can find a key that fits. Is to replace the pins in the cylinder to match your new key.

But you need to get it open first, i think.

What fun!
Im excited for you!

Let know how it goes.

Edit- i dont think i would buy it from wish. That was just the first link that popped up. That is a nice set (name brand) just search for it on Amazon. In fact im gonna order one for the shop just to open cars.

Last edited:
You need a double rake and a Y tension wrench.

10 bucks.

Micro Hand Tool GOSO 10 Pieces Double Sided Auto Rakes Lock Pick Tools for Locksmith Unlocking | Wish

And i think the key is false. Looks like 6 pins. 3 on each side.

Whats the pin count?
Pin count.....well, it's really hard to see in there and it has obstacles. There a slotted spring loaded barrier inside the lock that rotates (with the key) but keeps me from seeing the tumblers. I'll try and find my home made picking tool to see if I can get past the barrier.

See this is what im talking about. It's a puzzle and the fun is in solving it.

We cant see inside but we can poke around, learn things then plan an attack and execute!

I have searched the internet for years trying to find a lock like mine so I could see what the key might look like...............so I tried again this evening. I found one just a few minutes ago!!! Now I see that the key is flat with identical notches on both sides!!! The first deep notch (I think) is for that rotating barrier I mentioned earlier. Looks like 4 pins on each side????

DSC08239.JPG

With that ruler in the pic I know the (almost) exact length of the key and its' notch area!!

Ive been looking it up. Turns out they make a top notch lock.

From the looks of the key it shoud open with the half diamond double rake.
(Fourth from the right in the pic.)

You should spray some cleaner in it before you try picking it. CLP would be good but anything is better than nothing.

Looking forward to hearing how it goes!

Ive been looking it up. Turns out they make a top notch lock.

From the looks of the key it shoud open with the half diamond double rake.
(Fourth from the right in the pic.)

You should spray some cleaner in it before you try picking it. CLP would be good but anything is better than nothing.

Looking forward to hearing how it goes!
I'll keep you posted on my progress. Thanks Treblig

PS - I took this lock to the local lock shop.....they laughed at me when I asked if they could make me a key!!! They said.."We can't pick that!!"

-
Back