- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup club soda (for extra crispiness)
- Oil (for frying)

### Instructions:

1. Mix Dry Ingredients: In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika.

2. Add Liquids: Slowly pour in the cold water and club soda. Whisk the batter until smooth. It should be a pancake-batter-like consistency. If needed, add a little more water to thin it out.

3. Heat Oil: In a large pot or deep fryer, heat oil to 350°F (175°C).

4. Batter and Fry: Dip fish fillets or chicken pieces into the batter, coating evenly. Carefully lower into the hot oil, frying for about 3-4 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and crispy.

5. Drain and Serve: Remove from the oil and place on paper towels to drain excess oil. Serve hot with tartar sauce or your favorite dipping sauce.

Enjoy this crispy treat with some homemade fries or coleslaw!

IMG_4611.jpeg

Thanks. I used to really like LJS. There were 4 or 5 in Topeka, now there is only one. It got to the point where when you entered the place, the floor was a bit slick from grease, the salt and pepper shakers were slick and sticky with a layer of grease, the bottles of malt vinegar were slick and sticky with a layer of grease. everything in the whole store was slick and sticky. The food was still good, but come on!!! Lots of places deep fry food without everything in the store being covered with a film of grease. You would think that the final remaining LJS place would have learned a lesson and made an effort to increase ventilation and do more cleaning! Nope.

I have two still open in directions I still go. One is to dirty looking to visit. And one is so so outside but nice and clean inside. I always get my food to go and usually order inside. I never ask anywhere I go for senior citizen discount but it’s the only place I go where they automatically apply it. Not a big deal but a nice jester.

Used to be one of my favorites when I could park my 18 wheeler close enough. Now retired from driving long distance, and the closest LJS is 63 miles from me.
I also liked the Malt Vinegar.

Man, I love long John silvers

When we go to the big city, we often times stop there, much to my wife's chagrin

I had to take my oldest kiddy cat (Hemi) to the vet emergency room in butler Pa. He has to stay overnight and isn’t in the best of shape. I was one mile from my favorite long John slivers but couldn’t eat after that ordeal.

I hope Mr. Hemi gets to feeling better soon. We've worn the Vets office out with our dogs here lately, and one had to spend the night at the animal emergency hospital in an oxygen chamber. I know what you mean about not wanting to eat while dealing with a sick animal. My ol buddy Thurman was terribly sick all weekend and wouldn't eat. I couldn't bring myself to eat in front of him, so I'd sneak out to the shop while he was asleep and eat some chips and stuff I keep in the fridge for snacks, so he didn't see me. :(

I bought two packages of thighs this week at my local community market on sale for .99 a pound. I wish I had more time this week to try this recipe out

Thanks. I used to really like LJS. There were 4 or 5 in Topeka, now there is only one. It got to the point where when you entered the place, the floor was a bit slick from grease, the salt and pepper shakers were slick and sticky with a layer of grease, the bottles of malt vinegar were slick and sticky with a layer of grease. everything in the whole store was slick and sticky. The food was still good, but come on!!! Lots of places deep fry food without everything in the store being covered with a film of grease. You would think that the final remaining LJS place would have learned a lesson and made an effort to increase ventilation and do more cleaning! Nope.
Sounds like the one in our town, I avoid it except for carry-out.

The best one around is an hr drive, the little old lady who owns it, used to work there as a teen-ager, now she owns it.
It is super clean, and most of the time she is doing the cooking, she runs a tight ship, and the food is great.
Make it a point if you are ever in Elkins WV to stop there.

-
Back