Long sitting 273, any ideas?

-

1965cudav8

Reaction score
Hey all,

just picked up a 65 cuda with a 273 thats been sitting for nine years without turning over. I drained gas tank, changed oil, lubed cylinders, changed battery, used a little starter spray and she cranked to life after a few tries. I ended up changing the fuel filter three times since it kept getting clogged. the idle was rough at first but settled right out after about an hour. anything else i should do before running more (just concerning the motor)? i was thinking radiator flush, change the oil again after a few hours, and maybe even another fuel filter seeing as it kept getting gunked.

any ideas, suggestions etc would be of great help!

thanks

Attachments

• 2011-03-23 16.51.45.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 203
I don't see any reason to change the oil that soon, is it smoking?

But I think you may be in for a ride with fuel. If the filter plugged that quick, you probably are in for major cleaning/ replacement of fuel line(s) and tank, pickup

I responded to your other thread. I'm not sure you have a 273. Wrong color & wrong valve covers. I could be wrong but I'd at least investigate a bit further. You might want to get the fuel line away from the heater hose. No good can come from adding heat to the crappy fuel we have these days. I'd always carry a spare fuel filter & make nothing but local trips until I was sure I had the fuel system cleaned out.

It really needs the tank drop and clean/replaced and new fuel lines. Its going on 50 years, lol..(does anybody really think these new cars still be running 46 years from now--with a dirty gas tank to boot)

I responded to your other thread. I'm not sure you have a 273. Wrong color & wrong valve covers. I could be wrong but I'd at least investigate a bit further. You might want to get the fuel line away from the heater hose. No good can come from adding heat to the crappy fuel we have these days. I'd always carry a spare fuel filter & make nothing but local trips until I was sure I had the fuel system cleaned out.

Yeah, im definitely going to check that casting number, thanks for the note on my intro page. It seems I should take a careful look at the fuel lines before I attempt the 3.5 hour trip home haha. And yes, I definitely bought a spare filter to have on hand.

If it was a HP engine the valve covers should be black wrinkle finish with aluminum heat sinks. If it a 2 barrel motor it would be all red.

Attachments

• engine 286.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 185
  • DSC00795 (Small).JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 195
I'd bring more than a few fuel filters for the ride... You're going to use more than a few I think once the car starts moving around.

Sure looks like a 318....?????? I would at the very least pull the tank, fluck it good, pick up a can of fuel tank re-condtioner (sorry can't remember the brand name) and get down the road....a spare filter for the trip would be a good idea as suggested above....just my .02

Rickster

Real quick and easy to check. Drivers side of the block above the 3rd freezeplug back. will be a long number(7 diget i believe) followed by cubic inch and then another #. Example 2780930-340-2 Looks to me like someone put a 318 in your car. Block show any signs of red? If you end up needing a 65 273 or a 340 PM me.

For old tank/sitting cars I made a 5 gallon gas can with a rubber hose that I hook up to the fuel pump. I do not even try to use the old gas. Also FYI. Never use ether (starter fluid in the spray can) on a engine thats been sitting as the cylinder walls are dry of oil and you can score the walls real quick with the starter fluid. Are you trying to drive it home from Vermont or just onto the trailer?

Real quick and easy to check. Drivers side of the block above the 3rd freezeplug back. will be a long number(7 diget i believe) followed by cubic inch and then another #. Example 2780930-340-2 Looks to me like someone put a 318 in your car. Block show any signs of red? If you end up needing a 65 273 or a 340 PM me.

It's even easier than that. FRONT of block, drivers side, immediately below the head is a stamped no. I never remember if it's 234, or 345 #'s are the CID, 273/ 318 etc. You are gonna croak if you find out it's a 360

Hey man, block shows no sign of red but I will not be able to check out the number til monday when i get back to the house where its sitting. Definitely hoping its a 318 or bigger though...

For old tank/sitting cars I made a 5 gallon gas can with a rubber hose that I hook up to the fuel pump. I do not even try to use the old gas. Also FYI. Never use ether (starter fluid in the spray can) on a engine thats been sitting as the cylinder walls are dry of oil and you can score the walls real quick with the starter fluid. Are you trying to drive it home from Vermont or just onto the trailer?

I siphoned out the old gas and dumped 5 gallons of new stuff in before attempting to start. and i wish i had heard about scoring the walls earlier cause i totally gave the carb a few shots. oh well, hopefully no damage done.

It's even easier than that. FRONT of block, drivers side, immediately below the head is a stamped no. I never remember if it's 234, or 345 #'s are the CID, 273/ 318 etc. You are gonna croak if you find out it's a 360

I will know for sure monday. and yes, considering the nice deal i got for this car i could have hit a little jackpot...Im guessing its a 318 if anything though, the PO has a rebuilt 273 in a '64 barracuda too and he said the one i bought always had 'considerably more pep.' never though to check the motor...

Whole fuel system needs cleaning; that is 318 blue.

yeah, im definitely going to drop the tank and flush it. anyone have a quick rundown on a good way to do that?

also, ive heard people saying they use cascade to flush their radiators. any other believers? any better ideas?

thanks

and just out of curiosity, what color should the valve covers be??

It wasn't that the valve covers were the wrong color. As stated by others, the entire engine is the wrong color. The valve covers are the wrong style, they're from a later model engine. I'm also a bit confused by the intake manifold on your engine. I'm not sure what I'm seeing. It looks like a single plane 4 bbl intake. As far as I know, these were only used on 273's but it could have been switched onto a 318. It's also possible you could have a 2 bbl manifold with a 4 bbl adapter & carb mounted on it. I just can't be sure from the pic you posted.

It wasn't that the valve covers were the wrong color. As stated by others, the entire engine is the wrong color. The valve covers are the wrong style, they're from a later model engine. I'm also a bit confused by the intake manifold on your engine. I'm not sure what I'm seeing. It looks like a single plane 4 bbl intake. As far as I know, these were only used on 273's but it could have been switched onto a 318. It's also possible you could have a 2 bbl manifold with a 4 bbl adapter & carb mounted on it. I just can't be sure from the pic you posted.

I was victorious in today's work. I found the casting number and it is in fact a 318 built between 1967-1975 (#2536030). It has an edelbrock streetracer 318 intake manifold. And, as you surmised, there must be a 4bbl adapter cause its a carter afb carb. That sound like a legit setup? or am I in for trouble. So far everything has been running mint..

-
Back