Long term job assignments away from home......

-

65BCODA

Reaction score
Just wondering how many members work/live on the road.
As I sit here in my hotel room looking forward to going home for a week during the T-Day holidays, wondering how I got here. I haven't been home since July 7th, been home a total of 15 days since Jan 1st.
Airfield construction is shut down for a moratorium during T-Day for 10 days and again Dec.17th - Jan 2nd for X-mas.
I really envy you folks whom have nights and weekends to accomplish work on your cars/homes/time with families.

Before coming out on the road I would come home from work and never enter the house until 12-1 a.m. working on whatever project I had going at the time. Now when I go home time is at such a premium I some times do not even enjoy it because of trying to make the most of it....Make any sense??
I've seen parts of this country/met people that otherwise I would not have. Sure the paycheck is nice but at what cost?

Thanks FABO folks for the company.

Roger

spend 6 months out of town from november to march of this year...

I was about 500 miles away...and flew home every other weekend...but yes it gets old...

can not get alot done on short weekend

I spend 6-9 months overseas at a time, and anywhere from a week to 6 weeks at a time away while I'm in the States. Luckily, I haven't had to do anything longer than a month at a time for the past couple years, but the time's coming.

My son will be 12 this month and the job I have dont pay alot but it gives me time with him to watch him grow and be a part of it. I would like more money but wouldnt change anything about my job until hes grown if I can help it.

For 10 years I used to be away from home (worked all over the world) for on average 9 months of the year, broken up into 3 week/4 week/ 6 week long jobs, you know what I'm saying. Yes the money was very good but like you I got tired of the hotels and resturant food and especially the airport terminals, rental cars and retards packing AK47's. I finally said screw it and found a stay in town job and got to know my wife again. Feeling much better now. :toothy10:

I spend 4 to8 weeks at a time in a logging camp and then 7 days off. Been doing it for so long I do'nt think I could do just 5 days a week.

Thanks fella's, I guess I just needed to know there were others out there.....even though I already knew it.

I just keep telling the wife there is an end... but realisticaly not in the near future.

As Greendart says"any jobis good...." in these times.

Yeah it sucks. You will survive. Spent a lot of time away from the family during 22 years in the military, three times a full year at a wack. Got to keep your spirits up, concentrate on getting your job done and enjoy the time you have with the family. Don't try to cram to much into the visits home as that just makes it hectic and ultimately you go back to work feeling let down. You can always talk to us here on FABO. By the way I love your Cuda. I'm restomoding my '65 Formula S and plan on painting it the stock EE1 Dark Metalic Blue or the same blue you used. Just can't make up my mind.

Roger, been there, done that for 13 yrs on the North Slope of Alaska, and may have to do it again. I will admit, if ya got a good paying job in this economy you are a step ahead of most. The wifes ask me if i ever thought about going out on the road again? If it dont get any better around here it may just happen. If ya need company and some good help, i'm listening. One of the other contractors here in town, whom i know well, has gone to Florida to work. I got your parts laying here on the desk Roger for when your FIL wants to pick em up. Have him just call me. Your buddy.
Small Block

Spent a lot of time living out of a hotel working in a signal construction gang for the railroad. My daughter was only a week old when I got sent to Atlanta for six weeks, and that was the last straw. I swear, I don't know how the military guys and girls do it! I got extremely lucky, and finally got accepted into the Management Trainee program. Now I'm home all the time, but on 24hr call. They run you around pretty good at night when there's trouble, but I always end up at home sooner or later. I feel for you, and hope it all works out in the end. At least you have the web to keep you busy on down time!

I wasn't out of town working but when i bought into a business all i did was work.Told my wife I had to put in the time to get the business off the ground and running.We were only married for 3 months at that time,she barely saw me each week,told me we should not be married.Needed that kick in the *** to wake me up.I cut my hours back even though my partner objected.Bottom line,it's just not fair to your wife,or to you.My .02

-
Back