Long tube headers or stock manifolds?

-

orangedust

Reaction score
I picked up some brand new hooker 1 5/8 th long tube headers for my 340 duster, a chevy guy told me the stock exhaust manifolds on my mopar will flow just as well. I never heard that before any suggestions? :?: :?:

Good topic, it presents many different opinions. With our A bodies(67 to 69 cudas for sure) there is the problem of installation , then ground clearance and the regular headaches you can have with headers if you don't maintain them. The manifolds, if they are the HP type do flow quite well but do not perform as well as the headers but with little or no problems. They can be cleaned up to match the heads and will do quite nice. On the other side you don't get that wonderfull header sound that all car guys love. I have been told that the TTI headers, although expensive are the best way to go for ground clearance and instalation. As you may be able to tell by now I have been struggling with this decision also. Just my 2 cents. :roll:

The stock early 340 manifolds flow good, but not as good as headers. I would be careful of taking advice from a chevy guy, just being a chevy guy shows you what kind of judgement he has :lol: Maybe he's just trying to get as much of an advantage as he can to try to keep up with you :wink: :D

i was just wondring this, but what kind of maintenence do headers need other than torquing the bolts down every so often. this is my first, and hopefully only, set of ttis and was wondring what else would be considered mandatory maintenence.

Sparky...Is that Kamloops??? Nice 340S.
I've got the hedman shorties on my 340 Dart but if i could afford it i would go with the TTIs, they dont run under the center link. As far as manis vs long tube headers...bull.

Did u say a CHEVY guy said to do this :roll: hes just sayin that so he can beat u in a race :scratch: id pick headers over stockers anyday,i did the swap on my stock 318 last year and man she hella came alive :cheers: :salut:

So, what kind of problems will i encounter trying to put
motor back in with headers on. Should they be installed after.
68 cuda fastback.

if you can get by set them in and wire them in out of the way while the engine is out. If you use TTIs you can get away with this becase the tube that goes between the steering linkage slide in .

-
Back