Look Who's Back!

-
I heard of a clearance sale at Super Shops warehouse, (if memory serves, san Bernardino ?) and a friend and i went.
Mallory, one of ss favorite brands, didnt have the best reputation for reliability, but i heard their remans were better, the problems were fixed,and assembly was better. I gambled, and bought a 690 ignition box ( i swear, that thing weighs more than a bowling ball!), tbe matching coil, and a 250gph fuel pump, for pennies on the dollar compared to new.
Guess what. The box and coil are on my 62 today,still working like a champ, for thirty years, and the 250 still works great, gonna put it on my opel when i put the big motor in (454 is never enough)
I guess the guy who told me that reman mallory was good stuff, didnt fib. I dont know for sure, i think that purchase was late eighties.

Last edited:
Corner of Sonoma Blvd and Maine St. Looks like it's a motorcycle shop now.
Forgot about Bailey Brothers. That's another good one.

There was another in Concord. Of course when going to the drags we would hit Vic Hubberd

Don't know how long they will be in business again. They are $46.00 higher on a 1906 Edelbrock carb over Summit or Jegs.

Maybe they will have Mopar parts in stock this time around.

The one near my house in OH in the 80's NEVER had anything Chrysler in stock.

Everything was special order, 8 weeks delivery and extra cost on top of extra cost.

So bad I only went there 2 times and it was only a mile from my house.

I wonder if this Rush of nostalgia will wear off quickly the old tightwads of yesterday will noticed quickly the prices they're paying to be in a nostalgic establishment...

Lived right down the road from Super Shops on highland. Was a cool place for sure. Could get what ever you wanted, usually in stock....

View attachment 1715618344 Only white letters I ever let show on any car or truck I ever owned :lol:
San Bernardino and Riverside stores had facilities to install the hot rod parts you bought also, others probably did also.
View attachment 1715618345

http://r.search.aol.com/_ylt=AwrVBLsfr5Nfi14AuRRnCWVH;_ylu=c2VjA3NyBHNsawN2aWQEdnRpZAMEZ3BvcwMx/RV=2/RE=1603542943/RO=11/RU=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sntdz8G1pxs/RK=0/RS=ZktgXl7R13GWDOjhsYzi8Q9df0c-

Not Eddie Hill's finest hour but it did get he and the Super Shops quite a bit of press.

I actually bumped into Eddie Hill online a few months ago. I've always been into road racing and karting....during the winter I used to race on some online leagues to keep busy. Sometimes pros will join. Eddie joined the group and was asking for a little advice to online racing. Was kinda cool to chat with him for a few minutes.

I actually bumped into Eddie Hill online a few months ago. I've always been into road racing and karting....during the winter I used to race on some online leagues to keep busy. Sometimes pros will join. Eddie joined the group and was asking for a little advice to online racing. Was kinda cool to chat with him for a few minutes.
ive chatted with red farmer on facespace a few times, wendell scott jr to, never know who youll run into on iracing tho!!

Or will they roll with the times and be full of tuner parts..

Is the tuner fad still going? I haven't seen as many around here as there used to be by a long shot.

I used to love watching him race. He was always one of the good guys.

Yeah, about 84-86....The Costa Mesa store? That would be a small world because I remember the tool who handed me that cracked Predator....I took it out and said Uh, no thanks, this thing is used! He told me it wasnt, (evidence of a nut snugged down on the ears) it was just a casting crack and it was still good, non returnable and that its "not fair to blame us for a casting crack, NOT FAIR!" I was looking around for the candid camera as this was just silly and the guy was visibly shaken that I didn't want to accept it. Hope it wasn't you!

I ran that place around that time maybe 86-87. Left around mid 87. Don't ever recall selling predator carbs though. Anything is possible with that place.

Lived right down the road from Super Shops on highland. Was a cool place for sure. Could get what ever you wanted, usually in stock....

...as long as it was for a chevy.

Only thing I ever actually bought from their store in Tampa was Uni-Lite distributor for my 71 351C torino.

Took them almost 8 weeks to get it shipped to them.

They said 4 weeks and I went back in 4 weeks and 3 days and it wasn't in yet.

Best thing I can say about that chain was their use of Santana's "All I Ever wanted" as their theme song.

I LOVE that song.

I ran that place around that time maybe 86-87. Left around mid 87. Don't ever recall selling predator carbs though. Anything is possible with that place.
Nope. This had to have been after 1990 as I never had a predator on my Mopar, only my 57 Fords 351C. Probably >1993 ish. Cool.

When those shops were in their prime they were a great place to walk in to for speed equipment, especially for us in areas that weren’t already served by other speed shops. There was at least one I used outside of Chicago back in the mid 80’s and later that had what was needed, one in particular being an Erson TQ20 cam kit for a b-block (a great cam by the way!) ...I remember on that purchase reading their catalog in the store then and there trying to determine the cam I needed, settled on that one and walked out with all the parts needed. Was always like a kid in a candy store going there. I’d love to see P.A.W. come back, sent a ton of money to them via money orders and an envelope. Real surfing! The catalogs were cool too, like a Sears catalog almost!:thumbsup:

Another Super Shops San Bernardino fan here! It was less than a mile from my apartment. My Hooker headers were $109. When I bought my Fastback in 1991, it had SS decals on both quarter windows.

148196_466134368511_4471108_n.jpg

I will never remove them.

Long live Super Shops!!!

-
Back