Looking for help in NJ

-

Jerseystrong

Reaction score
Hi guys,

This is my first post to this forum and am looking for some friendly suggestions or help from people located in NJ. I recently purchased a 1965 Coronet 440 with a 273 in it. The motor is in desperate need of work. I suspect its only firing on 2 4 6 8. I did a compression test and got low compression on 1,3,5,7. I suspect that the head gasket may be bad. I also pulled the pan...found some metal it also looks like the valve seals deteriorated and clogged the oil pick up. The motor is pretty much done. Now, I need help either finding a member or shop that rebuilds motors or will install a used one. Unfortunately I am on a limited budget. $1500 is what I have. If you guys don't think it can be done, I will just cut my loss and sell the car as is. I live in the Central NJ area. All advise or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

That seems like a lot of money for a used engine / trans with questionable miles and condition.

The other issues you have is "what is" that 318 out of? If it's out of a truck or motorhome, you'll have to swap your 273 oil pan and oil pickup or find a "car" 318 pan. You'll have to transfer your 273 engine brackets, and possibly the manifolds, again, depending on what the 318 came out of.

If you use / don't use your original transmission, other troubles.

I believe the original 65 trans is cable shift, and the one advertised surely is not The CL might be a 727 or a 904, so the kickdown might be different.

Also, early engines had a much smaller torque converter snout than later models

In other words, if you can't find someone who is knowledgable, this could be a problem

-
Back