Looking for my dads Custom Duster/ Javelin done in the 80's

-
Reaction score

Hello all,

This is a long shot but I thought id give it an effort.

I was born in 1977. My dad at the time had a 71 or 72 Plymouth Duster. He customized this car beyond imagine. In 1985 he was forced to sell it to save his marriage. The car was for show not performance as it only had a slant 6 in it. I was only 8 years old when he sold this car and now I am almost 40 and my dad is 66.

I do not want to ask him the year of the car because even after all these years it is still an emotional touchy subject for him. Although him and my mom are still happily married I know he still wishes he had the car as so does my mom. In July of 2017 they will be celebrating thier 50th wedding anniversary. As a present from me, my wife and my 2 older brothers I would love to see if this car is still out on the road and maybe for sale.

Now for the details of the car !!!!

The reason the year is not important is because its a one of a kind car.

The rear end of the Duster was swapped out for the rear of a AMC Javelin. The front factory round head lights were modified to 2 rectangular lights on each side and i believe he said years ago that he modified a Twister grille to fit. The lights were then covered with tinted plexi glass. The slant 6 engine was factory sized but was swapped a couple of times. The hood had functional dual ram air scoops sort of like the cutlass w30 hood.

On the inside at the time he sold it it had brown fur on the dash and had white fur on the bucket seats. He removed the shifter from the column and installed it on the floor into a center console( not sure what the console is from though) I believe the backseats were white fur also but not 100% on this. I know of 3 different paint jobs on the car but not sure which one was on it when it was sold. It was white with the starsky and hutch red stripe, maroon with orange graphics and charcoal.

A few years ago their house was flooded and he lost all pictures except for 3 or 4 which I would love to try and get without his knowledge and upload on here to help possibly locate this vehicle.

I used to own a custom audio shop with 5 locations so im willing to do the work to get this car back to the way it was when sold but i dont want to buy a duster, javelin etc and build one for him as its not the same car that he built with his own 2 hands.

This is something I really want for my dad and am willing to pay for it as long as the price is right based on the work that needs done. Please help me make this dream come true for my dad

Update
I was able to get a few pics of the car while my parents were out of thier house.
i found some old info my dad had stored in his cedar chest. after looking at the pics its cool for the time era. Mind you my dad built this thing by hand and he is a television program producer not a bodyman or mechanic.

There are three different colors in the pics. The white one is after the initial paint job from the pea green. Its only from the back but it had a starsky and hutch red strip down the side. Obviously it was before the 74 javelin rear end swap.

The maroon one is of the 74 javelin rear and his homemade spoiler to replicate the javelin. Not sure why he didnt use the spoiler from the javelin but its also a conversation I dont want to have with him unless I can find this car. The front headlights were swapped and he had a grill from a twister (just the center section) and also a hood that looks like a twister hood but none of the pics I have have the white hoses i remember seeing as a boy connected to the engine. the console was also from a dart (which there is no pic of) that put the shifter on the floor instead of the column. The car also had door handles from a 76 thunderbird and I couldnt find any info on the mirrors I just know they aren't chrome.

The charcoal pics are of the car when it was sold in 1985 in the youngstown ohio area. Everything from the maroon color is the same except the interior has white fur on the seats (It is on the back as well) and the fur on the dash which someone stated was called "monkey fur"

Hopefully these pics will help in locating this car so I can return it to my dad
duster1.jpeg
duster8.jpeg
duster7.jpeg
duster6.jpeg
duster2.jpeg
duster.jpeg
duster5.jpeg
duster4.jpeg
duster3.jpeg
Thanks

Last edited:
Great story Twisted. Definitely sounds like a custom from that era. Pics would help greatly (with or without your father's knowledge). GL.

Thanks I hope I can get the pics I know it will help if the car even still exists for all i know it could me crushed after all these years

They used to call that "Monkey Fur". My uncle had a recliner that was covered in it. I would also try posting on RacingJunk and any other related site,you may get lucky

try lost muscle cars on facebook. also going to be hard without a vin. do any of the pics show a plate number?

try lost muscle cars on facebook. also going to be hard without a vin. do any of the pics show a plate number?
Im letting myself into their house on Wednesday whiles their in church. And going to scan the pics and upload them to here. Im sure theres a plate in the one pic but i wasnt aware that would do me any good since he sold the car. Can i get the vin from an old plate?

They used to call that "Monkey Fur". My uncle had a recliner that was covered in it. I would also try posting on RacingJunk and any other related site,you may get lucky
Appreciate the input never searched for a car 31years later with just knowledge from when i was 8 lol

If you know what area of the country that it was sold in, that might be helpful. Some of our members might have seen it & they may know who currently owns it. Just a thought.

If you know what area of the country that it was sold in, that might be helpful. Some of our members might have seen it & they may know who currently owns it. Just a thought.
I know it was sold from youngstown ohio im pretty sure it wasnt local i remember a flat bed coming and getting it

From the sound of it it's a 1 of 1 car and not likely another one around so if it is still around someone knows about it.

That's funny. I had an uncle covered in monkey fur. He was one hairy bastard! ;)

-
Back